Posts made by Sue Hellman

Hi Susan. 

My suggestion would be to test how well your rubric clarifies your expectations by setting up a reliability test. You could create some samples or ask some fellow instructors to role play and have the class (including you) evaluate the scenarios. Comparing responses could become the basis for a great discussion of strengths and areas for improvement and also give the students more insight into how you differentiate levels of proficiency.  

-S 

Thanks, Lisa. Now I understand what you want and the categories you're assessing. I like the idea of having the students submit pictures with a written report explaining their choices. 

I'm wondering if rearranging some of the elements in the rubric might make the students' work easier for you to evaluate and, at the same time, clarify for them what your expectations are. The problem is that this would would be hard for me to explain in writing. If you'd like more details, perhaps we could Skype & set up a Google Doc. I hesitate just sending a sample rewrite because that can seem like I'm superimposing my ideas on your work which is not what I intend. 

Hi Doug. 

I like the level of detail you've included. I'm not familiar with your technology but could still understand the requirements. 

What I'm wondering about is where the pass/fail cutoff is. I found a rubric  for wrining online courses that has 3 levels of proficiency -- essential (must be present/mastered for the project to be accepted), excellent, and exemplary. An exemplary course has all qualities in all 3 categories.  

If you decided which skills were essential, then not demonstrating even one of those would mean that the student has to do more work and submit another report, even if some of the excellent or exemplary standards were met. That would be your pass level (sticker). If the student wanted a badge, he/she would have to fulfill the requirements at the next level. For example, to pass (earn a sticker) the writing standard might not be a critical factor. For a silver badge, the 150 word count & correct spelling might be the standard & for a gold, no mechanics errors. 

The rubric could be set up checkist style. Then a student would see exactly what was missing in order to complete the requirements for a pass (sticker), or a silver or gold badge. Setting up a rubric this way means you don't have to figure out how many errors are acceptable at any level. The student becomes responsible for meeting the badge criteria kind of like in the boy scouts. 

Hope this is helpful,

-SueH