Posts made by Sue Hellman

Sure, Doug. Here's the link --https://bit.ly/2NUIsGu It's available on the BCcampus website as well. 

It's not checklist style, but would be easy to rearrange as such to make very obvious which requirements have been met & which have not. 

This used to be called 'criterion referenced' assessment, but it's fallen out of favour. I'll leave it to you to speculate about why.

http://www.teaching-learning.utas.edu.au/assessment/criterion-referenced-assessment

Hi Tara. 

I think students would be eager to have input to this kind of rubric. They're very aware of what kind of feedback is/isn't useful, what feels like a constructive critique, and what ends up feeling too personal. I'd be inclined to give the draft to them and see what edit suggestions they come up with. 

I'd also keep in mind that they may be used to the kind of evaluator who does all the work of correcting for them. Peer feedback which makes the producer of the original work responsible for edits and changes may be judged as less than ideal becuse it leaves them with a lot of gard work to do or because students are not used to it. 

Re peer assessment ananymous or not? 

The reading I've done says that an important issue to consider is that peers can be reluctant to assess in such a way that could make another peer look bad or lose marks. I think using this as a formative assessment is a one way to remove that kind of pressure. Then creating a checklist style rubric so reviewers are asking themselves 'do I see this requirement or not' takes them out of the role of judge and makes the process more supportive. Using names means that the person whose work was assessed can go back to the evaluator for clarification if needed especially if more than 1 response was received and they have conflicting results. 

Hi Sylvia. Camping out & still doing your homework -- you have my admiration :-). 

I like what you're doing here. Offering this as a self-assessment guide for potential course developers could help those who have not taken FLO courses shape their work to better fit the model. 

Any suggestions I might make, I'm sure you'll catch on your own in the second draft. :-)

-SueH