Posts made by Nancy Riffer

What we learn in school

In formal learning situations (school, training) we learn that we are not in charge of our own learning. External control replaces a child's natural desire to learn. We carry this school learning into our adult lives and most structured learning situations. Put someone in an ordinary training situation and they often tune out or get hostile.

But much informal learning continues in adulthood. Allen Tough (1971) at the Ontario Institute found that in his sample of 66 adults, each typically had 8 projects for learning that they spent 81-104 hours on in a 6 month period. So it is not that adults stop learning or stop wanting to learn. I think a formal learning situation triggers old expectations that they are not in charge of their learning. I found that when we tried to have staff members direct their own staff development (through learning contracts) many had no idea how to make choices.

Brockett and Heimstra, also at the Ontario Institute, make a distinction between self-directed learning (facilitated by an educator) and learner self-direction in which the learner takes responsibility for the learning. What would need to happen for learner self-direction to become the norm in schools and businesses?

Hi everyone,
I'm an avid life long learner. I can't help it. I love to learn informally.

In informal learning, I think the learner is the one in charge of the process. Informal learning can take place in a setting with structured offerings or in situations where the learner starts out on his/her own to locate resources.

I'll describe an example of a learning environment that I found effective for my informal learning. I recently participated in a large world conference on line. There were structured presentations, discussion spaces linked to each presentation, chats with some presenters, chats on topics with just a facilitator, and lots of opportunity for anyone to start a chat on any topic at any time. I see this as an informal learning opportunity because everyone was there by choice. Within the setting, one could listen to lectures, read or listen to case studies, interact with individuals of interest, start conversations or chats, etc. One could pursue learning following one's own interests, learning style, available time, etc.  And one could track several activities, walk away or switch activity at any time without embarassment.

I'd be interested in hearing other examples of informal learning situations -- structured or not -- that you found to be effective?