Posts made by Nancy Riffer

I want to look at how a college might implement the use of PLEs in blended learning.  Would change begin with faculty initiating the use of PLE tools and attitudes in their classes.  Could it begin with the Dean "selling" his faculty on the importance of PLEs for student learning and retention?  What would be the roles of Admissions and IT departments. 

Does anyone know of examples of colleges that have been successful in this change?  Case studies?  Are professional organizations pointing faculty toward changes in their teaching that would include PLEs?  Where is there pressure for movement in the higher education system?
Some bits:
The personalised homepage with calendar, alerts, links, feeds, news, to do lists, weather, stockprices, gadgets and knowledge sources is fast becoming the norm. The point is that the learning is part of the doing – it’s next to your calendar and things to do list. It’s part of your everyday life.
Donald Clark

Not enough to qualify for a PLE for me. (Derek)

Derek, I'd like to know what's missing.  You answered in terms of general functionality but it would help me to have some examples at the level of this quote or examples of tools you might use for those functions.  The description quoted above is much more specific.
I've decided to jump in, too. 
I'm a life long learner with a strong interest in self-directed learning.  PLEs have interested me since I first heard the term.
As I approach the postings in this seminar it is easy to feel overloaded.  I'm wondering how other people handle keeping up with posts and following links.  Do you have a way of approaching this much information efficiently?