Posts made by Christie Mason

Ann, I don't think you're missing anything.  I suspect it may be different interpretations of interaction.  To me, when a rater posts their view of a book they are interacting.  When others rate the usefulness of that rater's comments, they are interacting.  

The way that Amazon allows you to reindex those ratings is an interaction.

There are also content interactions.  You can search Amazon and see what other books reference a particular book.  You can search the actual content of a resource which let's you interact with that content in ways the publishers didn't intend.  Amazon suggests other resources you might find useful by supplying a structure where their product content interacts with the content they organize about their users and clients.

Part of the orginal promise of eLearning was that it would support these types of bidirectional interactions
  •    learner <-> learner
  •    expert/content <-> learner
  •    expert/content <-> expert/content.
The Amazon structure is very strong on supporting learner <-> learner interactions and weaker in other spheres, but it's the closest practical example I've found to show what supporting informal learning processes online could be because the learner can also create and expose content.

No matter how many games a training session may include it's still very one directional 
Expert >>>> learner.

Hope that helps clarify how I'm defining interaction.

Christie Mason

Greg I really had to stop and think about the personal/community aspects of learning.  My first reaction is that learning doen't require a community, probably because a lot of my learning occurs when there's no one physically present.

That reaction was incomplete and inaccurate.  Every time I learn, I'm surrounded by a community.  Different communities at different times.  It's the community that creates the resources that I use to expand my learning.  That community may publish a magazine, or create web pages, or participate in a dicussion forum, or create other resources.  At every stage of my learning I'm dependant on the knowledge of others to increase my own levels of learning and application.

I may flit like a butterfly from different communities and rearrange what I take into thoughts that bear little resemblance from the original sources, but if those communities didn't exist to create those resources, I would starve and be unable to evolve and transform.

Christie Mason

ADDIE is still very real in most training departments.  Some may have applied different terminology to it but anytime you find a linear authoring process, that's dear ol' ADDIE.  She may have on different clothes but her personality is still the same. 

It's been my experience that trainers who have other influences, such as multimedia or database design or marketing or web design, "get" iterative prototyping as a development tool. 

But, go to any ASTD meeting and talk about an iterative, prototype development process and you'll see that ADDIE is alive and well.

Christie Mason