Posts made by Christie Mason

I'm at UTC/GMT -6 hours but posting my SL avatar's name to this forum is too much crossover for me, my SL persona lives in SL only.  When the Online Facilitators group did this we registered on SL for the tour, can something similar be done for this?

Christie Mason
Michael, thank you for your enthusiasm for my thoughts.

Just one little, teeny, tiny, itty bitty suggestion.  Run that document through a spell checker before you post it to your students.  

Oh, and you may want to remove the comma after "you".
Don't reveal anything in a web supported media that you, wouldn't be comf

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

With appreciation,
Christie Mason

I know of lots of words written on the topic but I would not recommend any of them.  Why?  Because they are written within the boundaries of unknown perceptions of an undefined environment, influenced by individual experiences. 

I confess that I have a deep distrust of using documented "best practices".  Not only are they rarely effective, but they smell of avoidance.  It is hard work to question and expose perceptions and assumptions.  Being able to say "so and so said this was a best practice", is often a "best practice" to avoid responsibility. 

My only suggestion would be to create the type of environment where, without fear of retribution or loss of approval, your students feel free and open to expose and question the assumptions made by assignments that you perceive as appropriate, but they may not.  

Due to the politics of power and control between instructors and students, and the diverse agendas of instructors and students; that's probably impossible to achieve.  Which leaves me with one suggestion, "Don't demand that your students reveal anything in a web supported media that they, not you, wouldn't be comfortable seeing on the front page of a newspaper."  In five years that won't work because no one will know what a newspaper is,  but it is the only recommendation that I would be comfortable making that I would be willing to see on the front page of a newspaper.

Christie Mason

Shadows of terrorism?  I worry more about "Clouds of Incompetence" and "Gnats of Naiveté".  The incompetence of those who promote their "free" service as "secure", the incompetence of those who put their passwords on post-it notes or in unencrypted files on their computer/email them to others/use the same username-password for everything. Those who naively believe that a password makes anything private and secure. 

If an adult, without any coercion, wants to post their most intimate details about themselves, and that person understands that a password is only a perception of security, and that person understands that "too much information" can be/will be personally & professionally harmful, and that person understands that what is free today will be owned by a company focused on leveraging profits tomorrow; then post deeply and expose all.  Just don't demand that others do the same.

If a student is not free to control what to keep private, who they will share what with, how & where they will share - without it affecting their grade or any other level of instructor approval - then that is not the above situation.

I keep thinking about hippies.  I liked the individualism they promoted, "be free, be open".  But then I noticed that they all dressed the same and spoke the same and had to appear to think the same.  It was a "gray flannel" suit culture, except that everyone wore jeans and sandals.

Christie Mason
As one who is still trying to get my settings to this forum changed to plain text, I can say that I would not consider you boring, I would consider you polite.

I have read endless discussions amongst web designers about when to send HTML formatted emails and when not to, especially for newsletters.  The only concensus seems to be that if adding formatting does not any value, any additional meaning, to your message, then it is best to use plain text.

HTML formatted email makes people, and IT functions, nervous; there is just no way to tell what else may be lurking in that code.  There are BAD PEOPLE out there who send BAD THINGS in HTML formatted emails.

Christie Mason