Posts made by David Millar

I was away at the 2006 Humanities and Social Science conference. When I came back, I tried to catch up with the game and debrief postings, in which there were a number of fresh viewpoints. Attached is my overview of the last couple of week's discussions, arranged by discussion topic, which I hope will be helpful. 

I originally intended this only as a set of notes to myself.
Apologies in advance to anyone who feels their ideas have been neglected or misinterpreted. 
Can anyone point me to a checklist of ethical and group principles for setting up a collaborative online community?

I am thinking of setting up a sort of million-man/woman group blog "Voices of Montreal/Voix de Montreal" with multiethnic lifestories, podcasts and music. My concern is that ethnic flame wars can result when people start telling their stories.

Ideally, such principles would not be imposed, but discussed and
freely accepted by all members of the group. Some examples, off the top of my head:
1. Ethics to avoid hate lit: participants should express their lived experiences fully and freely, without censorship. But while they may state what happened to them in detail, an entire ethnic group cannot be accused as perpetrators of a crime. Should links to other (uncontrolled, unreviewed) sites be permitted?
2. Informed consent: anyone interviewed for a life-story will have the right to review the transcript before publication. They will have the purpose and proposed audience of the VOM/VdM site explained to them. The transcript will be in English or French, and the interviewee's will have the right to correct or censor it. We also hope to allow podcasts
of the interview in the original language, with music, if financial resources and/or bandwidth permit -- in order to create a wider audience. The interviewee should carefully consider the effect on their life and family of "going public".
3. Changing the rules: should be done by consensus. Further discussion may be essential when expanding the working group, so that newcomers can 'own' the principles. Should there be some fixed limit on the times when this can be done, and the amount of time that can be spent in discussion? Otherwise, a noisy minority can hijack the group and bring useful work to a halt -- as sometimes happens in NGOs, co-op houses, and women's groups.

Perhaps a secular version of the process used by Quakers?
See http://www.nyym.org/quakerism/uqp.html:
  • Recognizing that of God in everyone.
  • Affirming the Spirit in oneself and others.
  • ...fostering and preserving opportunities congenial to the Spirit.
  • Living with simplicity...
  • ...striving to deal openly and lovingly with others when conflicts arise.
  • Seeking alternatives to violence in our words and actions.
  • Listening for the truth in the words of others.
  • Speaking the truth as we discern it with cordiality, kindness, and love.
  • Avoiding gossip, talebearing, breaking confidences, or the disparagement of others [while clearly stating one's own aims or experience, one should refrain from comment, denial or direct criticism of what another has said - also a principle of American aboriginal discussion]
  • Resisting temptations to falsehood, coercion, and abuse.
  • Avoiding behavior that supports social ranking.
Other examples:
Are there other similar statements of similar process principles related to access, universality, antiracism?

Some problem areas are signalled in
M. Sheeran, Beyond Majority Rule (1983) a Jesuit observes Quaker process,
and in
CitizenSHIFT / Parole citoyenne http://citizen.nfb.ca/onf/info?did=1561

Can you give me examples of other problems that consensus failed to resolve?

Re Nancy White's question:
From my own experience, I would suggest Wikipedia as a first reference for any online tool, since it gives some history and context as well as how-to-use. A
Wikipedia link will often come up in any Google or other metasearch of the tool's name or purpose. It's a good idea to suggest students use Wikipedia first as an introductory and "help" source.

The trouble with the built-in "help" links on specific tools is that the creators often haven't foreseen all the possible uses, nor do they offer the clearest user guide. Experienced outside users often do better. Wikipedia is a peer-review of new online tools
(in this sense only, not as an academic evaluation).

Personally, I always use and evaluate ANY site or tool before recommending it to students.

See also
excellent academic evaluations in Public History Resource Center http://www.publichistory.org/ and Scout Reports http://scout.wisc.edu/