Posts made by David Millar

Deirdre, could you compare experiences with the wiki, and with threaded discussions like Ning in more detail? I think I remember viewing your Ning for educators, or was that Nellie Deutsch's?

BTW there are new free wiki sites that have widgets. See link in my Introduction message.

Dear Frank: Loved your protopage. Goodlooking combo of desktop and bookmarks. I have been using  Delicious http://del.icio.us/fdmillar for some of the same purposes because I have so many categories (tags), they keep changing, and I need to share them with others on my research team. By the way, Delicious tags can be shown in a tagcloud as on my blog Towards a Moral Economy lower right. Used a Delicious widget to insert the code. Google Pages could be used to create a desktop if one had less info to show than you do. On the other hand, one could just pirate your sourcecode and change the text. If one were a whiz at HTML, that is. ;-)

char_long_cv.gif

After reading others' intros I feel less like a fake. I'm no longer teaching, retired therefore no P to D. Didn't really get the "viral" topic title, yes i know it's not a disease but it redoles of unethical marketeering. Now that I (mis)understand it as how can we develop the human side of online social networking I'm happy to join in. Some personal notes:

- with others, I'm trying to develop an multifaith environmental discussion / exchange / action worldwide, using (among other things) a blog Towards a Moral Economy

- ditto with youths, using Facebook and TakingITGlobal groups, may use other social sites too

- just created a wiki Building a Culture of Peace for Canadian Quakers

- creating online groups in French with Forum Ouvert, Vents Croisés, Edupax, often translating in both directions E-F and F-E 

- more details in my homepage if you want them

The irony is that I firmly believe that the human being (in person, F2F) is the most effective medium of all. And that everything else is an add-on, extension, emanation, simulacrum, crutch, or whatever. Yet in teaching when more than half the students are tossing burgers to pay their debts, and when most of my environmental contacts are 2 to 17 time zones away, I am forced to the conclusion that asynch communication is better than none.

I see some old friends here, as well as some new ones -- or are you avatars?cartoons_avatar-tophOnSokka.gif