Posts made by Judy Southwell

Hi Peter,

3. I would like to see the image of the badge created so that people who might not have access to newer technologies and high-speed connectivity can easily use it. It should be widely usable in various technologies, e.g. via Internet web pages, signature blocks, mobile phones--not just Smart phones, etc.  I don't know enough about designing badges to say whether it is possible to prevent them from being copied by another.  However, I do think it important that there are effective means for determing whether the meta-data is valid and belongs to whomever has legitimately been awarded the badge.

4. I don't know enough about technologies to attach learning to the badge, but I do think it should be sufficiently easy for the average individual to use.  Privacy issues might need to be explored, e.g. location of storage of data.  Allowing for some flexibility in changing a badge's criteria over time might be useful, too.  Perhaps there could be some mechanism such as a time-stamp to point to the criteria the badge represents.

1. I was a member of various groups while at school, but don't recall getting merit badges other than ribbons on Sports Day and getting recognition for representing the school on a sports team.

2. I went to a school where we wore a school uniform.  First team players were awarded a school tie to signify this.

Hello!

I'm Judy Southwell. The discussions last week gave me a bit of an understanding of digital badges. The resource from Educause 7: Things You Should Know About Badges provided a useful overview 
http://www.educause.edu/library/resources/7-things-you-should-know-about-badges

The Educause document suggests that badges "herald a fundamental change in the way society recognizes learning and achievement".  I'm curious to learn more about what this 'fundamental change' might be, and how I might use these tokens of accomplishment in formal and informal settings, both locally and internationally.

I live in Nanaimo, Canada and am enjoying reading the many posts. 

Regrettably I won't be able to participate in today's session. I noticed in a September 2009 Mick Healey and Alan Jenkins paper that they used the quote:

"For the students who are the professionals of the future, developing the ability to investigate problems, make judgments on the basis of sound evidence, take decisions on a rational basis, and understand what they are doing and why is vital. Research and inquiry is not just for those who choose to pursue an academic career. It is central to professional life in the twenty-first century." (Brew, 2007, 7).

This quote was interesting for me as it seemed that Dana was using aspects of this in her case study method. Also interesting for me is that the quote mentions research and inquiry is not just for those in academic careers. From time to time I have instructed in Applied Business Technology Programs. I believe this content, at times, lends itself to case based learning. The students are required to learn how to use technology to produce documentation, as well as learn about the documentation and technology/software to develop/present it.

At times, learning the software can overshadow learning how to apply documentation components and the situations in which these particular documents would best be used-particularly when the learner struggles with technology (they seem to get stuck there). Another aspect of the students learning is that they can have a different chapter each week and each chapter is on a different type of documentation production. I struggled at times with having sufficient time for students to learn the software, learn about the documentation formats, and engage in discussion about why they would use particular documentation/components and software elements. I recently introduced some inquiry based learning, but found myself running out of time and resorted to lecture-based/demonstration instruction.

I would be interested to hear if you have some suggestions on using inquiry based learning methods and assessments (formative and summative) in classes for budding administrative assistants who need to learn-the software, the documentation elements, and why they would use a particular software component/documentation type-in an environment where lecture-based instruction/demos/interactive discussion and then assigned exercises from the book or through the publishers internet site have been used.

Another interest for me is applying inquiry based learning in international settings (Western Africa) where the classes can be up to 400 students. Dana mentioned that small group work in sizes as large as 8 would not work as well. In the situations I saw/have heard about the learners have no books, no to limited technology, and large class sizes. Do you have any suggestions around inquiry based learning for large classes, and also for those in international settings? I love the comments international students made in the vignette on Dana's class.

Thanks for your post, Alice.  There is probably correlation between the points you list and the following--just stated differently--and a useful reminder of how students prefer to learn and interact. 

Memorial University of Newfoundland students were surveyed in winter 2008 and asked to provide their perceptions of effective teaching for both on-campus and distance instruction.  Responses were distilled to these predominant themes.

On-campus:

1. Respectful
  2. Knowledgeable
  3. Approachable
  4. Engaging
  5. Communicative
  6. Organized
  7. Responsive
  8. Professional
  9. Humorous

Distance modes:

1. Respectful
  2. Responsive
  3. Knowledgeable
  4. Approachable
  5. Communicative
  6. Organized
  7. Engaging
  8. Professional
  9. Humorous

Delaney, J., Johnson, A., Johnson, T., and Treslan, D. (2009).  Students' Perceptions of Effective Teaching in Higher Education.  Retrieved from http://www.mun.ca/educ/faculty/mwatch/laura_treslan_SPETHE_Paper.pdf on May 3, 2011.