Posts made by Derek Chirnside

From Re: Active Learning Techniques by deirdreb on Tuesday, 11 September 2007 7:54:00 a.m.:
I've noticed that although faculty believe reflection is important, it is rarely actualized or marked.

And: reflection is rarely practiced by faculty in their own domain.  :-)  In my experience.
We spent some time in 2005 creating structures for reflection working with 35 or more faculty.  One or two were currently carrying out any personal reflection (I forget which) - because they had a masters paper to do that required it.

One reason reflection is rarely marked: it is hard to do.  I agree: Bron's approach has some useful insights.
1. This little flurry started with Bron's comments.
From Re: social software for deeper discussions by bronwynh on Monday, 3 September 2007 10:30:00 p.m.:
I have recently decided to spend more time with real flesh and blood, physically accessible friends and to ring fence my virtual networks as the number i belong to is taking up more and more time and impacting on my domestic harmony and peace of mind. I wonder if anyone else is feeling the same?
I won't e-mail you next time I need to talk to you Bron: I'll phone!!  I'm sure most of us hqve done something like this sometime . . .

2. There is a lot of wisdom scattered over these last few posts here, to do with managing our relationships and our lives, habits, best tools, purpose, focus, goals and meaning.

3. And an aside, the Dark Side of social networking software . . .
We've had some comment on Quechup - which now has scores of angry posts in the blogosphere because of their e-mail invites that get sent.
I got this message today, with x x x  being an old address of mine:

Dear Derek,

Someone researched your reputation on Rapleaf by searching " x x x ".

To view (or update) your profile, check out:
http://www.rapleaf.com/pub/Derek-Chirnside

Even though your profile is incomplete, the person who searched you found some basic reputational information on you. At Rapleaf, you can find such information as age, location, history, social network links, and more on over 60 million people.

-Your friends at Rapleaf.com
www.rapleaf.com

4. And Sylvia, I did notice you didn't post, I assumed I had the formal end-date for this conversation wrong.  :-) Thanks once again.

-Derek
From Re: social software for deeper discussions by emmadw on Saturday, 1 September 2007 11:41:00 a.m.:
someone sent me an invitation to quechup.com today - that's not one I'm going to persue!

Never heard of this network until today.  [I'm a little out of the loop for these things]  Then in the same e-mail reading session I get an invite to the same thing.  Addressed to everyone in Nancy White's online facilitation list.
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/onlinefacilitation/message/9917)

My first thought was this: "No wonder some people build up networks quick if they invite 1509 people at once"
Here is part of the blurb . .
You can use Quechup to meet new people, catch up with old friends,
maintain a blog, share videos; photos, chat with other members, play
games, and more.  It's no wonder Quechup is fast becoming 'The Social Networking site to be on'
I presume this word rhymes with ketchup.  (Just then you thought all the possible web 2.0 names were taken!!)  Fascinating!!  :-)

But it is sort of a scam, a trap for the unwary.  Do not touch this site.  (IMO)

A little Googling reveals this:

http://blogs.nmss.com/communications/2007/08/no-quechup-plea.html

Quechup - a social networking site that starts each new subscription with anti-social spamming!

I'm interested in social networks and community sites, so I've joined many such services, only a few of which I actually use with any regularity.  A few minutes ago, I got an invitation to Quechup and went ahead and signed up.  Unfortunately, I didn't Google their name and check other people's comments in advance. [I'm just back from vacation and not thinking???]   Worse, I blasted through their sign up procedure without my usual caution.

During the signup process, Quechup.com suggests it search your address book to check if some of your email contacts have already signed up as well, so as to give the networking process a head start.  I've seen this before and I'm usually very suspicious, but this time I acted like a total newbie.  I let them see one of my address books, in which they found only the person who had invited me.  What they didn't mention is they immediately spam each of the addresses they got access to.

If you got such spam, I deeply apologize.  I've been on-line for years.  I should know better.  I do know better!  What else can I say?  I'm sorry.

And this:
http://www.ibert.be/2007/07/quechup-disaster.html

Back in the office an cleaning my mailbox I ran into an invite for "Quech*p" today. Ah, another social network I think and quickly check it out. One feature is to check who in you address book in in Quetchup, I try it and the system says > no contact present.

The whole thing was not very user friendly so I decide to leave it for what it is. I go back to my mailbox and see about 100 out of office replies ... apparently Quechup sent out invitations to join to my complete Gmail address book :(

THIS IS NOT FUNNY!

KILL QUECHUP FOR THIS (and sorry if you got an invite, I was not meaning to send it.

Update: I'm not alone :(

How to survive the attack of the killer Quechup @ bnox.be
Quechup : NOT what social should be @ Werner.be
Quechup Sucks and violates privacy ! @ x-tend.be
Hold the Quechup @ sparehed.com

And this:
IDate Corporation Announces Official Launch Of Quechup, A Rapidly Growing Online Community And Dating Site That Merges Internet And Mobile Phone Technology

:-|
-Derek
1. This little flurry started with Bron's comments.
From Re: social software for deeper discussions by bronwynh on Monday, 3 September 2007 10:30:00 p.m.:
I have recently decided to spend more time with real flesh and blood, physically accessible friends and to ring fence my virtual networks as the number i belong to is taking up more and more time and impacting on my domestic harmony and peace of mind. I wonder if anyone else is feeling the same?
I won't e-mail you next time I need to talk to you Bron: I'll phone!!  I'm sure most of us hqve done something like this sometime . . .

2. There is a lot of wisdom scattered over these last few posts here, to do with managing our relationships and our lives, habits, best tools, purpose, focus, goals and meaning.

3. And an aside, the Dark Side of social networking software . . .
We've had some comment on Quechup - which now has scores of angry posts in the blogosphere because of their e-mail invites that get sent.
I got this message today, with x x x  being an old address of mine:

Dear Derek,

Someone researched your reputation on Rapleaf by searching " x x x ".

To view (or update) your profile, check out:
http://www.rapleaf.com/pub/Derek-Chirnside

Even though your profile is incomplete, the person who searched you found some basic reputational information on you. At Rapleaf, you can find such information as age, location, history, social network links, and more on over 60 million people.

-Your friends at Rapleaf.com
www.rapleaf.com

4. And Sylvia, I did notice you didn't post, I assumed I had the formal end-date for this conversation wrong.  :-) Thanks once again.

-Derek
From Re: social software for deeper discussions by emmadw on Saturday, 1 September 2007 11:41:00 a.m.:
someone sent me an invitation to quechup.com today - that's not one I'm going to persue!

Never heard of this network until today.  [I'm a little out of the loop for these things]  Then in the same e-mail reading session I get an invite to the same thing.  Addressed to everyone in Nancy White's online facilitation list.
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/onlinefacilitation/message/9917)

My first thought was this: "No wonder some people build up networks quick if they invite 1509 people at once"
Here is part of the blurb . .
You can use Quechup to meet new people, catch up with old friends,
maintain a blog, share videos; photos, chat with other members, play
games, and more.  It's no wonder Quechup is fast becoming 'The Social Networking site to be on'
I presume this word rhymes with ketchup.  (Just then you thought all the possible web 2.0 names were taken!!)  Fascinating!!  :-)

But it is sort of a scam, a trap for the unwary.  Do not touch this site.  (IMO)

A little Googling reveals this:

http://blogs.nmss.com/communications/2007/08/no-quechup-plea.html

Quechup - a social networking site that starts each new subscription with anti-social spamming!

I'm interested in social networks and community sites, so I've joined many such services, only a few of which I actually use with any regularity.  A few minutes ago, I got an invitation to Quechup and went ahead and signed up.  Unfortunately, I didn't Google their name and check other people's comments in advance. [I'm just back from vacation and not thinking???]   Worse, I blasted through their sign up procedure without my usual caution.

During the signup process, Quechup.com suggests it search your address book to check if some of your email contacts have already signed up as well, so as to give the networking process a head start.  I've seen this before and I'm usually very suspicious, but this time I acted like a total newbie.  I let them see one of my address books, in which they found only the person who had invited me.  What they didn't mention is they immediately spam each of the addresses they got access to.

If you got such spam, I deeply apologize.  I've been on-line for years.  I should know better.  I do know better!  What else can I say?  I'm sorry.

And this:
http://www.ibert.be/2007/07/quechup-disaster.html

Back in the office an cleaning my mailbox I ran into an invite for "Quech*p" today. Ah, another social network I think and quickly check it out. One feature is to check who in you address book in in Quetchup, I try it and the system says > no contact present.

The whole thing was not very user friendly so I decide to leave it for what it is. I go back to my mailbox and see about 100 out of office replies ... apparently Quechup sent out invitations to join to my complete Gmail address book :(

THIS IS NOT FUNNY!

KILL QUECHUP FOR THIS (and sorry if you got an invite, I was not meaning to send it.

Update: I'm not alone :(

How to survive the attack of the killer Quechup @ bnox.be
Quechup : NOT what social should be @ Werner.be
Quechup Sucks and violates privacy ! @ x-tend.be
Hold the Quechup @ sparehed.com

And this:
IDate Corporation Announces Official Launch Of Quechup, A Rapidly Growing Online Community And Dating Site That Merges Internet And Mobile Phone Technology

:-|
-Derek