Posts made by Derek Chirnside

I'm back Paul.
I wrote my story over the weekend, but on Monday morning a smal error message on my laptop prompted me to gat IT in.  He looked at it, mutered something about making a copy.  He did make a copy, but not what I thought.  1 hour later I had lost three week's work in a corrupted database that was my desktop files.  "hank goodness you've made a copy" I said.  He'd only copied the corrupted database.  The synchonisation deleted all my desktop files which is where I've done tons of current work.  I've not recovered yet.  :-)
This litle discussion has proved very rich, but I'm only just dipng back into it properly.

Hi Paul, thanks for this, I think I missed out a word (but) which makes my intent clearer:

A fine exercise, which I'm sure had learning benefits.
BUT:

Collaboration is not the same as working along side of.
Not even using the results of other's work.
It must be more than this.
There needs to be **inter**dependence.

I know what I was trying to say: it was a good and worthwhile exercise, but not collaborative.  Yes, sandbox play it could be like.
Is this a pipe dream: we ran a pilot course for a new qual last year.  Our hope was community based learning with it not being posible to finish the course and acheive the learning outcomes without genuine collaboration.  Soon we run the course for real.

Have others encountered this?

Yes. 
Went to a workshop yesterday on 'Collaborative Assessment"
Students uploaded some documents (three short pieces in a particular structure) bu 12.00 mindight and met the next morning for two hours.
They were then to read and creat links between the documents.  "Joe also reflects on this" - "Sally makes a contrasting Point" etc etc.

A fine exercise, which I'm sure had learning benefits.

Collaboration is not the same as working along side of.
Not even using the results of other's work.
It must be more than this.
There needs to be **inter**dependence.
But I guess I am still old fashioned enough to not like results handed in for assessment with group grades.  B ut the process of getting there I want to see collaboration built in.

I'm a fan of the idea in Vygotsky's "Zone of Proximal development"

-Derek