Posts made by Derek Chirnside

Hi Everyone, another very interesting, diverse and multifacted topic.

From Re: Welcome Informal Learners! by minh on Monday, 15 May 2006 5:08:00 p.m.:

Here i Have to ask is formal a synonym for structured?

This is probably a good start.  Also  Prescribed (as in course objectives), Linear, and Predetermined . .

What is scary is the divergence of what people learn when exposed to the same input.  In fact I think this is probably not possible to expose people to the same input, since too much is different in our receptor mechanisms.  Lke water in a flood plain.  It tends to follow a path influenced by what has gone before.  Unless there is a really BIG lump of water.

A little story: in 1999 as part of a teacher professional development project we videoed kids doing practical (science) classroom activities and then played them back with the kids and the teachers having a dialogue.  "What were you thinkng when you did this?"  "What led you to do that?"

What the kids thought, how they responded, what they 'learned' being exposed to the same audible wave patterns in the air (the teachers words) caused radically different responses in their synapses and then their actions.

Some kids had a range of attitudes

eg "What is the teacher trying to say, can I do it, have I got it?"  Others seemed to have a sense "What can I discover about the world, the meaning of life and stuff?" - and little feel for formal goals.
As an aside: we specifically tried to help this second group to realise that in the midst of a school system, sometimes they needed to suspend their creativity and passion for a while and focus on formal goals.  Just until the assessments were over.  :-)

Some students were naturally strongly focused on the formal learning goals.  Others had little sense of these, and seemed to consciously think about things in their minds.  Like "The battery has a soft feel to it, I wonder they it's not like these other hard things?" and a student was examining it with scores from a fingernail.  Absolutely irrelvant to the 'Lesson'.

Informal learning happens all the time, and is of course different in diferent minds.  It's partly an attitude that causes a thought to remain in the brain a little longer, to value it, and to not dismiss it.  I think personally I value this attitude.

As a PS, I discovered a quite interesting non-standard blog recently with some interesting posts on thisMathemagenic ...giving birth to learning...  (with) Lilia Efimova

Just curious:
When I cut and paste http://ifets.massey.ac.nz/periodical/vol_3_2000/e01.html into my browser window, with Marginalia doing it's magic behind the scenes, I get extra stuff in the URL field.

The URL cut and pasted looks like this:

From Re: Defining communities by bberry on Wednesday, 3 May 2006 10:54:00 a.m.:
http://ifets.massey.ac.nz/periodical/vol_3_2000/e01.html

Is there a hot key, a way to hold your mouth or something to chose not to use Marginalia? - Derek

Stephanie, I came to a similar conclusion last night.  I printed out the powerpoint presentations in the infomation section and read them.  Very very interesting.  Then I checked your first post where you used the term student  'Student learning communities'.  I just mis-read it, sorry.  :-)  The word student just completely escaped my attention.

My actual work/day job interest is almost entirely with adults.  Sometimes they are learners in the real novice sense - eg pre-service one year pressure cooker courses for teachers, generally after a first career.  Othertimes they are highly trained and focused professionals (eg a primary school principal) who are filling in some gaps with part time study.

Background and glue.  I was going to say exactly the same thing about what is there or not there to bind individuals to a community - or not.  I've heard the term 'glue'.  Thickness or relationship or connection.  The glue of a future/current involvement in a particular proffession/job is strong.  It it's not there, and is more diffuse, I'd imagine different dynamics come into play.

This is particularly true:
From Student Learning Communities (vs. CoP's) by stephanie on Thursday, 27 April 2006 10:14:00 p.m.:
On the other hand, if we're looking at student learning communities, students don't necessarily have the experience and expertise to draw upon. The learning community may be a vehicle to develop experience in a discipline or field, together.

I'd say students, say politcal science, sociology, law - on rarely have this perspective early on in their study.  It's actually quite hard to get - it takes time and focus.  It takes time to even figure out what the discipline is and what it entails and means. 
I worked in an office next to the masters room at the physics department at the University of Canterbury a while back.  There was huge sweat and toil to fix the problems that involved computer hardware, computer programming, maths and statistics  that were as big as the physics stuff.
These regular informal seminars I sometimes went to were a place to try to get to grips with the overlaps, and share knowledge and expertise.  In  retrospect I note several things: students have things to share with each other (even if they just learned it last week) - the role of the lecturer/supervisors helped with global perspectives - there was no sense of pure physics, there was always some cross over to other subjects - lots of time was wasted, but you couldn't tell what was wasted or not until later - this is hard to do with big 100 level classes.

This is a learning commuity inside a subject area probably more like you are talking of, but not with the cross curriculum links.  in the PowerPoint, even without the audio, I was very taken with the descriptions of learning communities intentionally built across disciplines and built into a week's programme in an insitution.  Sadly I know the insitutional barriers to this at the local Uni here would be great.

Stephanies point 2: Self regulated learning.  Agreed.
You have raised a few questions here. 

I will now change contexts to compare two programmes I work with.  Both pre-service teacher training, one Early Childhood and one Primary (Elementary), both 3 years.
The most successful one (IMO) has a longer, slower buildup.  The participatns are defined on day one as novices entering a profession, and they are included in the process of making the transition.  The idea of the reflective practioner is developed and modelled.  Self reflection is modelled, scaffolded etc.  And assessed.  :-)  (A constant staff dialogue surrounds this last phrase!!)

There is a strong focused goal here: to become a teacher or to get a job as a teacher.  This strong focus definitely helps.  There is not the strong goal in say an English-arts course.  The ultimate end for a student could be anything from a project manager, writer, franchise owner etc, but in the study time you are not focused on this.  This kind of learning community I have had no experience of, but I can see the huge benefits - thinking about my time at uni I would have both benefited and enjoyed it.  Even so, here I'd say (as a theorist) an important aspect is to make explicit the aim of the exercise, the benefits of the community approach, the value of the integrated/interactive types of course activities.  The penny will drop.  Possibly.

When I taught High School, I did make it explicit that I was there to set up the environment and act as a resource - they were to work together collaboratively to learn.  It was 'them engaging with the subject' and it would be hard, but worth it.  Not me pouring facts, knowledge and ideas into their heads.  If ever I go back teaching (which is possible) I'd love to see if I can find out more what helps make this transition to intrinsically motivated learners.

Well, learning communities.  I guess my reflection on the CoP site of things is because most of my work is in a defined domain (like clinical education, video editing, teaching, e-teaching etc) and is professionally oriented (they will probably go out and work in this area, if they aren't already) and where some are very experienced.

As I said above, the description of the learning communities was interesting.  And very attractive.

Hey, Bruce thanks.  Just got back, so this is really just a placeholder.

Bruce: I am a bit confused by whether we are discussing a community of teachers and educational professionals or a class. I feel there is enough sameness to discuss common strategies and enough differences for those strategies to be uniquely employed.

Sorry.  Both.  But as you say we are trying to tease out the common features and the differences.  For me, my interest may be specifically classes where community is important.  The common denominator is community - the difference is either
  • volentary community setting
  • course based setting
  • not-course-based and not volentary (as in the case of required re-acreditation setting)
  • I can't think of another . . .
I will read the rest of your post later.
And skimming others: definitions, interesting, I'll follow this up and Afsaneh's comment as well . . .      -D