Discussions started by Derek Chirnside

Decided to start a new thread, since where else do you say farewell at the end of a workshop??  I think I have never managed to finish my thinking in line with the end of a SCoPE workshop before, and this is the same.  It's been a nice month, if a little hard to keep up most weeks.

I still smile at the word of the month: Blurk.  I had never heard of this before.   
blurk : A lurker on a blog. (n)
To lurk and read a blog, but not comment (v)
I blurk on Dooce, but I am too shy to comment.
by pony Mar 21, 2005 email
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blurk

I have learned a lot about blogging tools, it is odd the several I read for specific friends - fragments from past interactions - just never really featured.  (Xanga, Multiply and Vox)  It really came down to elgg and Livejournal and blogmeister.

I learned a bit about accessibility.  Had a look at some computers near my office set up for this purpose.  (I had never given this a thought B4)

I know there were a couple (or more) of questions we have not answered, but that's life.  One about WebCT/Bb.  I'm just not going to bother with blogs inside WebCT/Bb - they need some work to bring them up to spec to be even able to deserve the label blog.

How have we done?  This is important to me - Have we managed to put blogs under the microscope and dissect them and still leave the specialness of this medium intact, and not loose it's life and creativity?  Yes, in my opinion.  But we are still very much in the infancy of understanding the effect of this new environment.  Sylvia, I suggest a Blogs II "Have we made any progress with Blogs in the last year?"  in 12 months.

The metaphors are all there: fires, incubation, hotbeds, creative . .   

Thanks Micheal, you have worked hard I can tell.  I've enjoyed meeting your students.  And all the rest of you.

-Derek
Hey thanks George and Paul . . .
I enjoyed the hour online, this is just a few comments to debrief my mind before I'm off to enjoy the rest of the day.

I was a bit overwhelmed with the sudden flurry into the high level theory/theories of learning.  Even the concepts behind constructivism need to be revisited often.  And I forget!!

I found Bill's blog, and these lists of knowledge:
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2006/12/what-should-schools-teach.html
I quote:
From anthropological research of over 3000 human cultures, he presented two lists, the first were universals, the things that all human cultures have in common. This list included things like:
  • language
  • communication
  • fantasies
  • stories
  • tools and art
  • superstition
  • religion and magic
  • play and games
  • differences over similarities (?)
  • quick reactions to patterns
  • vendetta, and more
He then presented a list of non universals, the things that humans find harder to learn. This list was shorter and included:
  • reading and writing
  • deductive abstract mathematics
  • model based science
  • equal rights
  • democracy
  • perspective drawing
  • theory of harmony (?)
  • similarities over differences (?)
  • slow deep thinking
  • agriculture
  • legal systems
Schools ought to be mainly about learning the hard to learn things.

I have yet to think what I think about this pair of lists.  Is it a useful lne of enquiry?  Too simple?  Tools like wikis and blogs affect us so much - some have strong elements of the hard.  Really hard.  Try to manage delicious, firefox, a threaded discussion and an RSS feed and you will know what I mean.

As I said, I liked the diagrams in George's book . .    [are they a language?]  The question usually arises in my mind: OK, what now?  In an organisation/network, how do we exist, live, relate? - say wearing hats such as teachers, or learners, or administrators.
This is my personal preoccupation here. I sometimes exist in a huge organisation of people.  How should I live?

I find again the huge value of a short synchronous sessions, and enjoyed things, fragmentary as they were at times.  My kids were making coffee down the corridoor for $2, $4 with cake.  Bruce next door is currently writing the worlds best chat and came in to look.  Why, Oh why does Elluminate have only such a micrioscopic input window?????  We are building in a form of quoting and threading to try to avoid the intertwined nature of usual chat.
I have more to say, but duty calls.  Have a nice day/night everyone.

From today's mail.  Maybe there is a place for some specific Education oriented input . . .

Dear SourceForge.net member,

"By revolution we become more ourselves, not less."
-George Orwell

Open Source Software and the Open Source Software community are revolutionizing the way many companies source business applications.

SourceForge.net is looking for open-source "experts and opinion-leaders" to help shed light on key issues surrounding the delivery of service and support for these applications.

Please enroll to share your unbiased and anonymous point of view. We will reward you with a global platform on which to voice your thoughts. And you will receive cash incentives from us as a "thank you" for doing so.

Over the next thirty days, we will be collecting input and advice from Project Administrators and open source users from around the globe---via online focus groups and interactive surveys.

We think that your thoughts are valuable---please help us ensure that they are heard. Click on the following link to get started. Additional project details are provided below.
http://survey.buzzsponge.com/wix/p0385210.aspx?r=21076&s=FDCDNHQE

PHASE 1: During the first phase, we will be conducting interactive online discussion groups with software developers and project administrators who currently contribute to and/or use open source applications on SourceForge.net. **Please note: the spaces for Phase I have already been filled and this phase is nearing completion. We invite you to join us during the second phase, which is detailed below.***

PHASE 2: During the second phase, we will be conducting an online survey.

• A link to the online survey will be emailed to all participating technology professionals during the week of November 20th.
  • Participating technology professionals will be asked to complete the 15-20 minute survey at some point during that week.
  • Participants can log-on and complete the questionnaire at any time of the day or night.

****As a thank you for your time, each participant who completes the questionnaire will receive US $10****

In order to fully understand how we can better meet your needs, we need your help and we hope that you will be willing to participate in at least one of the phases listed above. As a reminder, the information you provide is completely confidential. SourceForge.net will not try to sell you anything during this survey or the focus group discussion. Your personal information will never be sold to a third party for any reason.

To sign-up to participate in this collaborative research project, simply click on the link below.
http://survey.buzzsponge.com/wix/p0385210.aspx?r=21076&s=FDCDNHQE

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jay Seirmarco
General Manager
SourceForge.net