Posts made by Carolyn Campbell

Hi everyone,

Sorry for joining late.  I attended a conference in Tennessee but didn't take a laptop!  The horror!

My name is Carolyn.  I'm an instructional designer at the Nova Scotia Community College in Canada.  I work with faculty to develop and deliver online courses.  I recently co-facilitated a session (with my good friend Ian and others) for new faculty that involved some exploration with social media.

I'm excited about some of the opportunities that social media offer.  I see lots of connection and informal learning happening through these new tools.  A lot of my own learning happens through the conversations shared on blogs, in wikis, on Facebook (even though I'm hating the ads) and by participating in discussions like the ones we have here at SCoPE.  I'd like to learn more about how we can transplant some of those great practices into formal learning experiences.

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks.

Carolyn

Where to find me ... (please feel free to "friend" me)

Random Mind (blog)

Facebook

Orkut

Second Life: Carolyn Carillon

Del.icio.us

Slideshare

Hi all,

I'm Carolyn Campbell & I'm an Instructional Designer at the Nova Scotia Community College on the east coast of Canada.  I've been exploring Second Life with my colleagues for about a year, and we're seeing lots of great opportunities for learning there.  I'm eager to hear how you're using games & simulations, especially if you're integrating them into online courses.  (How does that work??  How are you handling the practical issues of tech support, etc.?)

I'm looking forward to the discussion over the next few weeks.

Carolyn

Great question Nick, & one that's got me thinking.  I think I have more questions than answers.  I'd love to hear from those who are using 2.0 tools now.

I'm tempted to say that many of the ways we teach online expand with Web 2.0, not change.  There are a lot of constants in good teaching, whether online or offline, in physical places or virtual ones, with first-generation tools or with blogs & wikis.  (I think that Nancy's idea of "learning together" is definitely a 2.0 competency.) 

However, when I look at the list of competencies that Henry Jenkins and others have said are necessary to engage (let alone teach!) in a Web 2.0 participatory world, there are some very different words in the list.

http://www.henryjenkins.org/2006/10/confronting_the_challenges_of_6.html

Play?  Performance?  Appropriation?  Multitasking?

How many of these skills need to be woven into our teaching?