Posts made by Carolyn Campbell

Hi,

I'm Carolyn Campbell & I'm an instructional designer at the Nova Scotia Community College.

It's nice to be back in SCoPE after a bit of an absence, and there's nothing like a good discussion around learning communities to pull you back in! We are in the process of designing a course using a community-based approach for faculty who are facilitating online and blended courses ... and still working out the kinks before we launch later this year. :)

I look forward to learning from your experiences.

C
Hi, I'm Carolyn Campbell. I'm an instructional designer at the Nova Scotia Community College on the east coast of Canada -- just a rock's throw from Wendy at St. FX. (Hi Wendy!)

Like Jeffrey, collaboration is an important part of my work. It's not always easy. Communication can be a challenge especially among people with a wide range of comfort levels with technology. It can also be a challenge to support learners when they work as members of collaborative teams in online courses.

How do you lay the ground work for collaboration ... either at work or with learners? How do you facilitate collaboration once you start?

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Carolyn
Jason, that cartoon is terrific! I think I'll post that on my office door. (Is posting on your office door a form of microblogging? Hmmm.)

I'm a bit like Cynthia. I like seeing how other people tag things. When I read someone's tags, I'll sometimes revisit a photo or a site and see it in a whole new way. I see it through the lens of the tag. It's a simple but sometimes very powerful way to learn.

Tagging also seems to be the ONLY way I can stay on top of information. If you scan my inboxes, for instance, my Gmail inbox is clean. (I can tags to archive.) My Outlook inbox has over 1600 messages. (I use folders to archive.)

Tagging seems to work best for me when it's simple (i.e. "we all use scope688") or when I own it completely (i.e. I decide what to tag & how to tag it). I realize that these two are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of control and agency. :-)

I wonder what other people's experiences are. And what have you observed with learners? What's working for them in their own lives?