Posts made by Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier

Deidre

I so agree... I too entered Facebook land, but found it generally to be a waste of time. The sentimental cartoons and pithy poetry sent en masse from friends of friends really detracted from the value of the space for me.

I am enjoying these SCOPE and Elluminate sessions, webinars, and podcasts as a much more intellectually challenging and efficient way to communicate with colleagues.

I am not an early adopter, nor am I a sceptic... just too busy to jump from blog to space to wiki to whatever is the next flavour of the month.

Wendy

Hello all!

Thanks so much for hosting this timely session, Dan! I am new to my position as Instructional Designer (September, 2007) and have jumped into the deep end with intellectual property issues. As an researcher and an editor, I can appreciate the value of references and citations... which in my mind is the acknowledgement of others' ownership of ideas. The water is a little muddier in the context of material available out there on the Web ... and leads to the question of how to define "public domain" and the challenge of how/whether to police it. As well, in a knowledge economy, the concept of ownership takes on a myriad of meanings. If I create the idea while on your timeclock, do I own it, or your boss? Realistically, how can one pass in the information garnered from one workplace when s/he passes in the keys to the executive washroom?

Having said that, I can say I own "stuff."  A cat, a dog, oodles of fish, household trappings, books, photos, etc. The bank still owns my house and car. I like to think I own ideas, but then I have to wonder whether I do, or whether my employer does.

Wendy

Hi All

I am an Editor/Instructional Designer for Saint Francis Xavier University's Continuing & Distance Education department. One task is to work with faculty as they build their new on-line and distance courses, especially in the B.Ed. and M.Ed. programs. I am new to the role and come from a background of teaching in the public, univesity, and adult systems.

I am particularly interested in how to develop community in a virtual environment.

Wendy