Posts made by Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier

Thanks, Sylvia for posting the link to the recording and the chat dialogue. Unfortunately I missed the session; today was Day 1 of our July MEd courses... what a Monday! :)

I look forward to this discussion

Wendy

Hmmm answers to questions ... I usually ASK the question! mixed
I am an instructional designer who works with professors developing courses for online delivery. This is a timely discussion for me (a consummate lurker) as I put the fluff and polish on my dissertation research proposal (teachers perceptions moving from f-2-f to online modalities)... but... to the questions!

What is your criteria for teaching and learning based on your discipline and your preferred teaching style?
My discipline is education, and specifically teacher education, so I prefer interactive, student lead and discovered learning. Spaces in which to explore collaborative critical thinking are must-haves.

What practices do you employ?
Questioning, exploring, group work, reflection

How do you experience the learning moment as teacher or student within the context of online learning?
I don't have an answer to this one.. it really depends on the context of the moment.

If you were a panelist in such a teleconference, what would you say?
I would probably tell stories of experiences and throw in some theory-based research to spice it up.

What is your experience of being in front of the camera?
Some presentations (classroom and conference)
Web cam intros to online classes

How do you feel when you see yourself on video?
Self-conscious... do I really move my hands THAT much???

What are the challenges for you in being a really effective online teacher/facilitator?
Attending to the moment. Being able to do what I want to do, yet knowing some of my audience are on low bandwidth connections.

What’s holding you back?
Bandwidth, bandwidth, and bandwidth... oh, and bandwidth too. Also the time to play and practice.

What skills would you like to develop as far as online delivery goes?
More in other forms of online teaching in learning. Want to explore ways of knowing and of assessment FOR and assessment OF learning online.

Wendy

Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier
St. Francis Xavier University
PhD student, University of South Australia