Posts made by Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier

Hi folks

I am Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier, author of Chapter 8. I am located in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, at Saint Francis Xavier University. I am an Instructional Designer (on leave) and a professor in our Bachelor of Education (F2F) and Master of Education (I teach online) programs. I am also a doctoral student with the University of South Australia. I, of course [and perhaps unfortunately], study at a distance, and connect with my supervisors via Skype and Collaborate.

My doctoral research has involved an action research project with MEd professors as they moved from teaching courses face-to-face to an online environment using Blackboard and Elluminate. I used Elluminate to conduct individual interviews and focus group sessions.

I look forward to this SCoPE session and connecting with all of you!
Wendy

Agreed. This is also related to the "lurkers" (I prefer the label "auditors") of courses, listservs, presentations. They are there, participating in their own way, yet not captured adequately or even accurately in the data.

Wendy

But does tracking time logged in really give us an accurate picture of what that student is doing? I can click through forums and not really be engaged in what I am doing, or even sitting in front of my screen for the 15 minutes the LMS thinks I am.

I equate this to our f-2-f classes where the student is physically present, but not necessarily mentally present.

Wendy