Posts made by Niki Lambropoulos

hello Jeffrey,
nice to see you here :-)
I actually told Janet I don't have time to get involved in the discussions but this is a very interesting one.
I agree with Janet. In order to achieve collaborative learning, which a socio-cultural learning trend it is apparent that social interactions are crucial to build trust and a supporting environments for the e-learners. However, how do we do this with the 99% of lurkers?

This is where I used the newly discovered mirror neurons and vicarious learning > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neurons One way is to be the example of interactions as the e-tutor. another is to build full the profiles as they feed the mirror neurons with info so the e-learners know their co-e-learners. The e-tutors need to do this first, to know their learners in order to attract similar behaviour from their students. They need to have a full profile with some personal info and a photo.
I need to stress that I didn't search for direct corellations between the info to the mirror neurons and social interactions as I was interested in collaborative learning as such, so it is good area for research as it worked -at least to this one research.
Thank you, Tia!

just to day hi to everyone and share some interesting findings in the PhD about writing online messages>

There was one focus group with the E-mint international online community managers. Twenty five (25) of the 47 participants' messages in the specific discussion messages (N=47, 53,1%) appeared to have a pattern (without the participants knowing there is a pattern):
1. Introduction, usually with an agreement with a previous message;
2. arguments and points of view;
3. an example to support the previous suggestions
4. stress of interesting points, more suggestions; and
5. signing out.

In another study, a developer said:

‘The lines in text on paper should,
for the sake of readability not
exceed 55-60 characters. On the
screen lines should probably be
even shorter.

Then you get longer texts. According
to Jacob Nielsen Internet user only
skim webpages for headlines and
marked keywords and they do it
very fast. IMO this makes online
communication and collaboration on
sophisticated issues more or less
impossible.’

Hope this helps; don't be afraid to post!