Posts made by Sylvia Riessner

Please join me in our final LIVE (synchronous, online) Blackboard webinar (webmeeting?) session tomorrow,

• Friday, August 14th from 11:00 am to 12:00 noon PDT (see your time zone)   
    Remember to have a headset with a microphone (a webcam would be great too so we can meet "face2face" but it's optional) Try to join a little ahead of the scheduled time so you can complete the audio setup wizard (instructions on the first slide when you enter the room)
  • To get to the room:  http://urls.bccampus.ca/scopeevents

Note:  If you run into trouble, I'll be monitoring the chat window in Collaborate. If you can't connect, email me sylviar@northwestel.net (I'll keep that open too).

Sharing Our Creations

This session was intended to enable us to share our draft outlines for engaging online learning activities or even to show/share samples? If you haven't got a prototype to share, please join me and talk about what you were planning to create, what you hoped to achieve and what some of your next steps might be.

If you can't make the synchronous session, we will record it and post it as soon as possible. The seminar officially ends Saturday, August 15th (but seminar resources remain available on SCoPE. 

If there are questions you'd like us to consider, please post them to this forum before 10:50 am tomorrow!

Cheers

SylviaR

During the LIVE Collaborate session last week, I shared a list of some current favourite websites that I go to, to check for ideas for tools to build learning activities (or just to play). I found a new one this week so thought I'd post it here.

If you have favourite tech tool sites you follow for ideas, please share. This SCoPE seminar stays open and is archived for future reference. 

From last week:

FLO Harvest wikiFLO Harvest wiki - ideas for tools with comments and information - shared by participants in BCcampus' Facilitating Learning Online workshops.

Kathy Schrock's Guide to EverythingKathy Schrock's Guide to Everything - I've followed her for years and always found something useful. Check out the activities list that provides ideas on how to use the activity and examples of how it was done. 

EdudemicEdudemic - been following for just over a year now  - found some good information and ideas here - check out the New Tools page.

Teacher Training Videos by Russell StannardTeacher Training Videos by Russell Stannard - just found a month ago - still reviewing - seems very useful

This week's find

Yale University - Online ToolsYale Center for Language Study - Online Teaching Tools and Resources - some interesting tools here that I've never seen before - will blog about them in the future as I test them out.

I've been popping in and out of a MOOC from the University of New South Wales currently running in Coursera (Learning to Teach Online). They've developed an approach to supporting peer assessment of online activities, assessments or resources that includes some questions I thought were also relevant in this context.

1.  Have you included a description of the activity that includes specifics about what the students and the teacher would have to do?

2.  Have you identified how the online activity aligns with the rest of the curriculum (or with the course)?

3.  Have you identified the strategies you have chosen to engage your students (and provide some evidence or reasons).

4.  Have you got a plan for how you'll evaluate the effectiveness of your online activity?

I think that there are two levels to evaluating the effectiveness of the online activity:  integrating an assessment component to identify what the student learned (this can be teacher-assessed, self-assessed or peer-assessed); and, a method of evaluating how well the activity itself was received and understood by students and the workload/payback for the teacher. 

I'll add these questions to the Padlet bulletin board and consider them in my own activity plan. 

Let me know if you find them useful.

Thanks to Leonne for leading the way.

I've finally settled on a basic idea for an engaging online learning activity. I was really struggling to focus as I've been so immersed in the options that I was getting dizzy!

I think the Principles that relate are Interactivity, Engagement, Tension

I've tried to answer the questions on the Bulletin Board in a Google Doc that I'm including here.

My Plan - Engaging OLA   (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aX9qNnxIg3dZSIPQ5v1fMCdjsTPqJhJOsOzFv-xfxTE/edit?usp=sharing)

I look forward to any feedback you care to share!

Thanks...Sylvia

I look forward to seeing more of your ideas as you have time to write them down (or share them in a video or?)