Posts made by Sylvia Riessner

Somewhat late but hopefully still in time for some feedback! We're camping and wifi access has been a little harder to access than I thought.

I have been looking forward to trying the single point rubric structure as I thought it might be very helpful in encouraging instructors to step back and develop prototype learning activities to "test" their online course design (this is a rubric I would integrate within my FLO Design course)

I've looked at different iterations and think that I want to avoid trying to identify what "exceeds standards" or what "exceeds expectations" as that presumes that I've got set expectations. My rubric is intended as a guide for the conversation I have with each participant throughout the course - what do they want to achieve, will their intentions play out, through their design, for their learners?   

Purpose of the rubric:  to identify criteria to consider when designing a "good", "useful" prototype online learning activity which is part of an overall design or redesign of a course or unit of learning online

see rough draft below (if you're curious about FLO Design it's available in the SCoPE OER resources.

Cheers

Sylvia

P.S. heading out for some beach walking before the rains descend. Back tonight I hope so I can continue learning from reading all the excellent examples I'm seeing posted in this forum.

Prototype Learning Activity

I too tripped over the Single Point Rubric from Jennifer Gonzalez on Twitter the other day - and had bookmarked it to share. 

I've been pondering the benefits / weaknesses of it and will do a search as you suggested to see what else is out there.

My initial reaction is to appreciate the focused approach and the identification of specific areas for improvement or excellence after applying it to an assignment.

Back to Steps 1-6 - keep hearing the White Rabbit in my head ;-)

White Rabbit - Alice in Wonderland

Thx Sue!  I owe you a coffee for sure.

Funny thing about Popcorn Maker mashups - I can't get them to play properly in Mozilla Firefox (current version), Chrome (current version) nor Internet Explorer - the audio plays fine and I see their overlays but I don't get the actual video stream.

The H5P tool is html5 compliant so Flash isn't the problem - something else?

Sylvia

I really appreciate the thoroughness of your feedback Sue. My responses are in purple between your comments/suggestions.

"I watched on my iPhone to about the halfway mark  but no questions came up.  What is the time stamp on the first one? I'm not sure if it's working correctly or not. I know you're sensitive to participants' desire to use their time well, so here's what I might do (learned in a video production course) especially if this is your first time using a new technology."First multiple choice question

The first interaction (a multiple choice review question) is at 2:24. The video is supposed to pause (it does for me on computer and Samsung phone-Chrome browser). What may be the problem is I left it at the default position (top left corner) and it's not visible enough as it sits overtop of the red letter "E" on the stage. Missed that. I'll doublecheck all the positions when I do my edits. 

"1) Expect glitches so create a way for users to test for them very early. You could, for instance, put a brief 'production path' test at the very beginning overlying the opening title. In the text intro to the activity, say what to expect & when, how to tell if it's working, & ask for a response either way in a special 'production path' thread or forum. Make sure to tests all functions the (eg. -- question appears, answer is accepted, feedback if used is provided, process can be skipped or not as you wish). That way the participants will not have to watch beyond the 30 sec mark before knowing if the technology is working on their device. You can't possibly test them all so enlist the help of the group."

I'll try that. I had planned to create a document to explain how the interactive video works and what they would see - BUT - I hadn't thought of embedding this in the video. I'll try it and see how it looks/works. 

"(2) Don't assume because the first one worked, they all will. Providing a list of the time stamps of all subsequent questions can give those who want to jump ahead a way to do so. Some may have seen this TedTalk & may not want to watch it all again. Others may like to preview and work back & forth. Knowing where the questions are can help them stay engaged. There may be a few hot shots who on their own will take on the role of tech previewers & send you feedback. You can thank anyone who does that (e.g. sends you a message or posts twice in the production path test thread) with a surprise merit badge. They do wonders for morale as I learned when my brother sent them to me when I was in hospital last year!"

I love the idea of the merit badge for pretesting. We talked about the impact of simple digital badges before we integrated them into the last Facilitating Learning Online workshop - it surprises me how much I like them too. 
I had already started working on the transcript that lists the events (questions/statements) after your suggestion in our Collaborate session on Friday - thanks!  And TED Talks provide a really useful, clickable text transcript of the talk which I was going to reference (include the link) in my transcript.

"That's my 2 bits worth for today. As for the video, it must be several years old ... Interesting that the audience was so receptive to her results (they even applauded the stats). I'm not sure this far post Coursera start-up if her results would go unchallenged as indicators of successful learning. And now if you want a certificate I think you have to pay, so it's moved from free to freemium. So much for altruism in higher ed.

-Sue :-)

PS One final note -- you may want to check with your campus copyright people to be sure the TT copyright is not infringed by editing their video in this way. The statement of what one can/cannot do without the speaker's permission is quite limiting, but our fair use for education regulations may supersede that. "

I've done some poking around on the Internet to check any critical responses to her somewhat excessive claims for international educational transformation, etc. and haven't found anything really coherent / cogent yet but I'll keep trying. There must have been some kickback to this video. If I can't find anything good, I'll bet some of my first participants will. Or I'll blog / tweet to see what I can elicit from the cloud ;-)

Surprising to me that so few people question anything that comes with a research reference. I'm planning to review her cited articles for some follow-up discussion about the "value" of educational research.

And yes, it's "freemium" now. And it never was "open" as you have always had to sign away all your rights to any data they could collect from your registration, connection, and activity in a course. If you produced anything in response to course questions/assignments, it was theirs. Yup, I'm hoping for lots of good discussion about the fact that "free" never is and that people who claim to want to provide "quality education" to the world have different ideas about quality than we might have. Lots of issues to think about but Coursera MOOCs are still very useful to many people. We'll explore that too.

And, as to copyright, I thought I was OK because I was using the streaming version of their video and I knew that Ted Talks have a Creative Commons license so educators can use them easily (https://www.ted.com/about/our-organization/our-policies-terms/ted-talks-usage-policy).. Darn!!!!!!! I just went back and reviewed the terms of the "BY NC ND" and it won't work - you're right. DARN!!! The ND specifically states that I can't do overlays - I thought I was in compliance because I wasn't changing the actual video.

But - I'm not defeated. I'm going to embed this with questions in Vialogues which will allow me to add bookmarks with questions and adds a discussion forum underneath. Stay tuned for Version 2!

But I guess we're done so I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again....SylviaR

A great example of the value of planning and testing before you start teaching!

I was unable to share my example interactive video (using the H5P interactive video tool) during the LIVE Collaborate session on Friday because I couldn't get it to share publicly (it wanted viewers to be logged into my website.

With the help of an eagle-eyed friend, I found the setting that I thought would allow people to try the activity more than once but instead that blocked the video from displaying publicly.

Here's the link - the interactions (questions and statements) are shown as blue dots along the video timeline below the video itself. I'm really enjoying this H5P set of tools but they take a bit of learning.

A guided viewing of Daphne Kollner's TEDTalk "What we're learning from online education"

http://educomm.ca/?p=122