Posts made by Sylvia Riessner

Thanks!

I agree that this is an area where more research could be done. Certainly most of the instructional design I see (where the designer actually thinks about how and why) is still informed by Gagne et al.

I've seen some interesting constructivist design out of BCIT (a couple of years ago now) but I haven't read that much about it.

Sylvia

Hi Deirdre,

I went to the link you provided for Wendy (as I too am an instructional designer) but couldn't see who was running the site and what the scope was before I signed up. Can you tell me who the intended audience would be?

Any instructional designer anywhere in the world? Is it sponsored by your institution using ning?

I have memberships on so many different sites so that I can test them for our instructors...it's made me a little hesitant to join more unless they have a specific purpose for me (or the folks I work with).

Thanks!

Sylvia

Alright, I'm done lurking! I've followed the last couple of discussions on Scope with great interest but haven't found the time to participate but this one is close to my heart and I'm hoping to learn lots from all the other participants.

I'm a curriculum designer/course developer (whatever term you use), instructor at times and currently working part-time with Yukon College's Distributed Learning department assisting instructors in integrating technology (from videoconferencing to blogs to wikis to Web 2.0 technologies) in their practise.

I moved to the Yukon nine years ago from Burnaby, BC and found that online forums such as SCOPE (I was a member of its predecessor GEN) saved my sanity during -40 degrees C times in the small community I was in at first.

I have a particular interest in collaboration (facilitated by technologies) because of the environmental constraints of living in the North (albeit with wonderful bandwidth) and because I was lucky enough to work for three years with the Yukon Community Learning Networks project. During that project, I (we) tried all kinds of ways to support, engender, maintain productive collaboration. Although we had some successes, I was often distressed by how limited in time the collaborative work was...

Anyway, I hope to participate tomorrow in the Elluminate session (at least for part of it). I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences and suggestions!

Sylvia