Posts made by Sylvia Riessner

I enjoyed your visual/text depiction of your reflections on metacognition! And Google Draw is fun and flexible (and free, sort of). Looks as though we share many of the same hopes for the microcourse. I look forward to hearing more about how you use metacog strategies or ideas in your own learning and with students.

Sounds a bit like a funky new dance move eh?

exploring perspectives in an art galleryMmmmm.... Why and What-What?

I chose this micro-course cuz I'm curious and want to expand what I know (or think I know) about metacognition plus I've always enjoyed any FLO activity I've been involved in.

What do I know - I know that metacognition is essentially "thinking about thinking" or "thinking about learning." I know that it involves reflection, active engagement with observation and some kind of feedback, and it's often about developing strategies and self-regulation. And more of course.

I think about metacognition as a fancy term for what the little person (kind of like a homunculus or femunculus) inside my brain does when I'm trying to learn something. She looks around inside my brain and says, "What do you already know about this?" "What do you need or want to know?" "How much time, money and effort will it take?" etc. And when I get lazy she pokes me and when I succeed at some part of the learning she is the one cheering in the background. She notices gaps in my understanding, helps me notice and form new connections between ideas...

What do I expect or hope to learn from this session? Lots, plus I'll enjoy reconnecting with other facilitators and sharing ideas, concerns, strategies, practical applications.

Thanks Leonne and Vivianna!

Wow, thanks for that resource Gina - and the story - definitely sci-fi ;-)

I've added it to my collection and will mention it in my blog - I'm promoting the SCoPE micro-courses - I so appreciate the feedback and ideas - I will try to contribute more next time around. Thanks all!

That's super-helpful Beth! Talk about constructive feedback

LOL re. "I feel this story doesn't have anything to do with me...was it supposed to? Or was it supposed to just be a cool, creative process/story to engage with?"

There was a bit of that behind my wish to use the tool to run the activity ;-)

I appreciated the details of how you did it but I think that I might approach it by running random sorts ahead of time and sharing the images into Moodle in a slideshow kind of way (could use Gslides or whatever replaced Moodle's Lightbox?)

BTW, are you using a free version of Spark? I did a quick look at limitations and couldn't find a clear statement about how long it's free and whether there are other constraints? I just remember Coggle and now Padlet - to make money they've had to limit the number you can create.

And, in terms of forming connections - I think I need to scale back - and be selective so that the random sort would bring up images that were relevant to what the group is learning. For my northern project, anything to do with recreation, leisure or leadership should create possibilities for shared experiences in the storytelling. And I can add some writing prompts or model how I might tell a story based on the images - I've become a serious Screencastomatic fan and I might use that as the suggested tool.

Appreciate you taking the time on a Friday. Have a good weekend.

Thanks to our 3 amazing human leaders - Colleen, Gina, SylviaC.

In the past, I've seen the value of co-facilitation with two; this week I really enjoyed the three different facilitation personalities.

I'll do my best to dive back into the discussion today - but it may overflow into my weekend.

Cheers...