Posts made by Sylvia Riessner

I've heard of the congratulatory letter activity but haven't tried it. In this day and age I would bet it would have the added impact of being unique (receiving a letter in the mail!)

I like the sounds of your floor walking - especially the idea of explaining to a partner. I'm part of an online book club that BCcampus is hosting right now and this week's chapter from Lang's "Small Teachings" (our book to analyze) is all about self-explaining as a way to aid student learning. 

Appreciate you taking the time to review. Am hoping (planning!) to get back in later this afternoon to review other postings!

Apologies for lateness - I've prepared a brief outline my plan to help learner plan and monitor. See My Plan

I generally teach / facilitate shorter courses or linked workshops. So my focus is on providing a structure for my learners that they can apply to any assignment. I take time to have learners work individually to identify their personal goals / intended outcomes for an assignment (nice to have something concrete to learn) - this gets them thinking not only about what they want to do but what is required or expected. Then I split them into small groups or pairs to set priorities and identify some steps they need to take to get the ball rolling. The final preparation step is to make their intentions visible (to themselves and peers or instructor) - they actually map and schedule their plan (when I can I have them do this on a board (if online I've used Padlet, Linoit or ZohoShow (and for those who have privacy concerns - Draw.io - open source and can save to your desktop) and linked it into the online course space.

In the past I've encouraged learners to explore the Pomodoro technique as it's easy to grasp and implement for productive learning sessions. But, it's not for everyone. I'd appreciate some suggestions as to different ways to help students monitor their progress - visibly. I also think I need to build in more group debriefings (hard when the time I have with learners is short !) to help them stay on track or see where they might be avoiding parts of their planning that is uncomfortable or difficult.

Thanks!

I think I recognize a Powerpoint SmartArt graphic? I too am curious about any significance you might attach to the directional arrows, relative sizes, etc. Or should we focus on the words you used and assume the graphic is a graphic organizer without embedded meanings?

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with self-regulated learners.