Posts made by Curt Bonk

R2D2 is more about overall course planning and specific course daily events.  It is actually not an instructional design model like ADDIE (though it sorta is).  It is more a framework for thinking about how to make sense of the 1000's of online tools and resources one has at his or her fingertips today. It is not a step-by-step model for designing or delivering a course.  That is boring stuff (though important; just like accounting was for me decades ago).  We let other ID people do that stuff. R2D2 can help your hesitant instructors say, hey, I can do some of this.  Here are 6 activities I like. One is in the phase of reading; 2 are in reflecting; 1 in displaying, and 2 are doing.  Cool!

3 things Jeffrey.

1. We have a journal article on the model:

Bonk, C. J., & Zhang, K. (2006). Introducing the R2D2 model: Online learning for the diverse learners of this world. Distance Education , 27(2), 249-264.

2. We had a chapter explaining the model more and it was deleted as were 5 other theory or intro chapters (not my decision). The chapter on instructional design models and R2D2 compared R2D2 to a few other such models. Another chapter deleted was on training instructors for all this.  I can send you both if you write to me at cjbonk@indiana.edu

3. The model is not a learning style model but a problem solving wheel of activities. Glad you read the whole book!  And enjoyed it.

The final phase of "doing" relates to that I think.  But all 4 phases have some performance activities.  I think I understand what you are getting at.  You want people to demonstrate knowledge--they do this in their reflection papers, their wikibooks, their critiques of web designs in Adobe Connect Pro, their answers to simulations, their super summary of blog postings, their movie reviews, their practice of a new language in Livemocha, their warm-up exam activities, etc.

Are you referring to outcomes-based education and assessment?  That is not what we targeted. I am a former accountant and CPA in an earlier life, so I have become sensitive to over assessment practices. I am now more of a process person. Assessment practices are the domain of 2 of my doc students, Nari Kim (who has a recent article on this; write to narkim@indiana.edu; see her article at http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/spring111/) and Shijuan Liu (now Dr. Liu) who did a dissertation on this and has a great paper on it. Ask her for it (shijliu@indiana.edu). She is about to leave for Cal State LA but this email will work for 6-12 months. Shijuan's article has tons of ideas in it.  Almost as much as the R2D2 book and she will give you it for free.  We/she has been studying assessment in the online MBA program here and 4 other online master's degrees.

Jeffrey: colleagues at the University want to create a database of the 100 activities so you can look up the low risk, low time, low cost ones.  That is a start at a different cut which you mention.  I plan to do three 100 activity books (w trilogy) and then a short Hobbit-like book with all 300 ideas briefly stated in it.  That is a second cut.