Posts made by Bill Thimmesch

Bev,

As a behaviorist I'll have to politely disagree.  I think Skinner would call critical thinking "verbal behavior."  In fact, applied behavior analysis has also been studied in its application to teaching critical thinking skills:

http://www.ericfox.com/psychflexcriticalthinking

See the PowerPoint that goes with that site.  PS:  Am I the only behaviorist in the room??????

Bill

Bev,

Ok. Here's my issue on this:  I've been a student/practitioner, manager in the area of training and development for nineteen years.  It has been my experience that in those years I keep re-reading the same research that recommends key processes in determining whether or not a performance problem is related to training or something else.  Those same articles that kick around the universe today on blogs continue to validate past practices, and even add some research practices of their own:  for example, for performance based-training you need to apply simulations, role-play, or structured one-on-one practice.  For information blasts (new company information)--a webcast is enough.  Let's call me tired at 50:).  In my world of training and development the same thinking process for assessing training needs, identifying preferred modes, and evaluating results have been consistent, predictable, and rather stable.  So why in the world would a novice trainer have to pull down research articles, training workbooks, and blog discussions to learn the same information that he or she could learn in seconds by answering some sequential questions from an automated tool?

hmmmm. that felt good.:)

http://www.businessperform.com/workplace-training/training_management.html

Attachment What_brings_you_here_today1.JPG

Bev,

Very persuasive, intriguing, and gave me a lot to think about!  This also reminded me about the role of changing your perspective...here's a silly story to illustrate: I was in my backyard one day, desperately searching for my car keys (which I'd dropped).  Frustrated, I thought for a moment about changing my visual perspective.  Instead of facing the ground in my bent posture, I turned around and stepped up onto the storm doors to get a different look...and there they were!

Maybe automating the instructional design process for teachers is not the point at all.  Perhaps the way to leverage technology for dynamic results is to adapt technology to indivdiualized instruction -- learner centered.  What do you think about  adaptive learning technology?  I saw this article from the Chronicle of Higher Education a few months ago and was intrigued...perhaps it applies to our discussion of how to use technology in instruction.

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Rise-of-Teaching-Machines/127389/

http://idreflections.blogspot.com/2010/05/automation-is-out-innovation-is-in-how.html

Perhaps an overall ISD "thinking process" is too complicated to map into a computer program as an EPSS.  I liked your comment and put up a URL (above) that talks a lot about ISD from a trainer's perspective. 

Having said that, are there not best practices in learning tools (e.g., when/how to use simulations; when/how to use critical thinking case studies; when/how to use immersive learning scenarios for particular outcomes)?  I'm thinking of helping a new ISD professional with knowing the basics of where to start:  So I'm creating a new course on negotiation skills for contract managers...what questions should I ask first about the learners/training outcomes that will point me to the most relevant and available tools to teach this skill?  Bill

So I was going to wait until Sunday night to post a turn to our discussion--but why  not now?  Here's what I'm thinking:  great points have been made that the creative process of ISD (especially in the area of educational course design as opposed to technical/formal training) is hard to restrain with a "think-box" tool to walk through the design process.  Still...I think automation has a benefit (as does technology).  So here's the new question:  are there  not research-based (proven) practices on how best to teach subjects such as writing, dance, public speaking, math which might be caputred in a tool for novice ISD professionals?  Rubric or Template?  You choose and please discuss!