Posts made by Diana Chan

Would you say the different types of social media you would use in the classroom be catered to the different group of students ?

Isn't SecondLife a video game similar to Sims? Do you see any complications of using SecondLife such as breach of privacy between yourself and the students?

I'm very curious because its a concept I have never heard of. Perhaps this differs from institution to institution.
As a business student at SFU, we don't usually have too many projects.

I find the best tool for getting all the course materials and information about the course from WEBCT. I know it's not always the best option, but I have actually grown to like it compared to Professors having separate web pages for couse materials.

There are so many platforms where teachers can post information and as a student taking several courses, it would be easy to have all the information in one place rather than checking Webct, emails and other websites.

Perhaps there needs to be better university policies where teachers should post additional course materials in one place rather than several, just to keep uniformity.

I know it's hard but it's just a suggestion.

When there are group projects, I also use Google Docs, Skype and drop box if the groups can not physically meet up.
Welcome to Demystifying the Student Perspective: Social Media + Educational Technology
April 26 -29, 2011

About this seminar

This seminar will uncover myths in the classroom from a students perspective.Topics will include: current technology trends, connecting with students online, and effective teaching methods.

About our facilitators

Diana Chan is a 5th year Undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University's Beedie School of Business. She is active in the social media realm creating local Vancouver blogs such as Nocturnal Vancouver and Foodology. Diana was introduced to social media at and early age and has been always finding ways to keep up with the lastest technology.

Hilda Anggraeni is a 4th year student at Simon Fraser University. She is majoring in Interactive Arts and Technology and focusing on Design and Informatic. She uses social media mostly for networking and work related stuff such as her online portfolio. She would love to know more about your experience in using social media for other purposes!

Participating in SCoPE seminars

SCoPE seminars are free and open to the public, and registration is not required. You are welcome to come and go according to your schedule and interests. To contribute you will need to create an account on the SCoPE site -- a quick process.

Please feel free to introduce yourself and don't forget to mention your affiliation with a Post Secondary Institution!

(Edited by Hilda Angggraeni - original submission Wednesday, 6 April 2011, 02:28 PM)

(Edited by Hilda Anggraeni - original submission Wednesday, 6 April 2011, 10:57 AM)