Posts made by Wayne Mackintosh

Hi Marin,

Thanks for popping in. 

You raise a significant issue regarding the popularity of an "open degree" and corresponding tensions with government funding. 

The beauty of the OERu model is that we can provide accreditation pathways for learners at significantly reduced cost without reliance on government subsidy for OERu learners.  

When thinking about fiscal sustainability of low enrolment courses, the OERu model provides a viable solution for recognised institutions to diversify curriculum offerings in a cost efective way for courses where low student numbers would not be able to support the offering at a single institution.

I think you'e right the pic and mix degree does have a selling point in funding constrained environments.

W

Kathleen,

One form of evidence will be the summative assessments OERu partners design, for example:

• A summative assignment designed as an "e-portfolio" (not to be confused with an RPL portfolio) which the learner submits for assessment or
  • Automated credit-by-exam models for selected courses.

This system can operate in parallel with institutional RPL models to provide greater flexibility to individualise the curriculum and recognise learning outside the classroom.

A key aim of the OERu is to reduce the cost of study using open education approaches.

Stephen,

Yes it is a bold step and I guess this TOR from the Coursera site is open to interpretation:

"You may not take any Online Course offered by Coursera or use any Statement of Accomplishment as part of any tuition-based or for-credit certification or program for any college, university, or other academic institution without the express written permission from Coursera. Such use of an Online Course or Statement of Accomplishment is a violation of these Terms of Use." 

I find it unusal for an organisation involved in learning to stipulate this kind of restriction. By the same token -- there isn't an audit trail for determining the origins of learning in our heads.

Hi Joyce,

I understand the PLAR model and you're right, its about the learning which a student can articulate.

The issue here is that the learner agrees to a contract with Coursera that they will not present their learning experience for assessment at another institution without Coursera's permission. The learner would first need to get permission from Coursera, once those permissions have been negotiated, they will be able to proceed. 

Hi Mika,

Thank you kindly for your offer to join the working group. Your expertise will add significant value. This working group will collaborate in the wiki -- we have a robust wiki process for working groups.

We'll see you online!