Posts made by Wayne Mackintosh

Hi Maria,

Thanks for popping in -- I recall that you have been part of the OERu discourse since our inception.

Drawing on our own data from running a few micro open courses concurs. We typically schedule the learning interaction in cohort-based mOOCs over 10 working days (2 weeks). Our very first open course in the WikiEducator community in Jan 2007 was scheduled over 3 weeks and we found the more compact and shorter format resulted in better engagement.  We have also found that staring a 10-day micro course on a Wednesday so that we sandwich two weekends within the course teaching-interaction perios also provides learners with more flexibility to "catch-up" over the weekends. We also "extend" the course for a week or two for late arrivals to complete the activities before we run the course analytics. 

This format fits the 40 hour model for a univeristy credit bearing mOOC. The courses are designed for 2 - 2.5 hours learning time per day, which totals 20 - 25 learning interaction hours leaving 15- 20 hours for a substantive summative assignment.  For now it seems to be a good size to maximise engagement without too much attrition but large enough to design meaningful summative assessments. 

Hi Steve,

I have no inside knowledge and can only surmise or speculate why they have done this.

It seems to me that Coursera is a classical Silicon Valley start up - build a big base and then figure out how to make money later by whatever revenue stream generates big $$$. For the time being, until they've figured out the business model, they are reserving the economic rights of assessment, because this is potentially a big revenue stream. Its a delicate relationship with the partner institutions because the the contributing partners retain copyright on the materials they put into the mix, but on the counter side, partners share in Coursera revenue.  Effectively Coursera courses are all rights reserved materials -- so they're protecting this one as well.

In practice, learners don't read the fine-print of TORs until they need it. 

Hi Kathleen,

FYI - If a student signs up for a Coursera course, they agree to the following contract:

I quote from the terms of service from the Coursera website:

"You acknowledge that the Statement of Accomplishment, and Coursera’s Online Courses, will not stand in the place of a course taken at an accredited institution, and do not convey academic credit. You acknowledge that neither the instructors of any Online Course nor the associated Participating Institutions will be involved in any attempts to get the course recognized by any educational or accredited institution, unless explicitly stated otherwise by Coursera.  ... You may not take any Online Course offered by Coursera or use any Statement of Accomplishment as part of any tuition-based or for-credit certification or program for any college, university, or other academic institution without the express written permission from Coursera. Such use of an Online Course or Statement of Accomplishment is a violation of these Terms of Use." 

So if you want to use Coursera learning for RPL -- you will need their permission. They control the economic rights of the learning. 

That's their right as a commercial startup, but I can't help wondering how many of the public funded institutions who have signed up for the collaboration have actually debated the ethics of this clause before joining the herd.

Interesting times for sure. 

Hi Kathleen,

Your post is a great lead for Monday's discussions where we will explore the quality related aspects and the risks associated with degree mill operators.  I can assure you that no partner of the OERu will be prepared to compromise its accreditation status or brand through sub-quality operations.

For now - -a few comments. 

The OERu is first and foremost a philanthropic collaboration in responding to our community service agendas. The OER Foundation is committed to building sustainable open education ecosystems. We are not opposed to the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights which includes the rights for individuals to earn a living wage including private service providers like yourself. However, we are committed to a level playing field because all OERu learning materials will remain open without password access as a matter of policy.

Our commitment to open philanthropy is clear. Since our inception, all meetings have been conducted openly and transparently -- like this SCoPE seminar preparing the agenda for the next meeting of OERu partners which will also be streamed live with opportunities for the remote community to participate in our breakout sessions.

The OERu's core principles of engagement are also clear -- we do not apply the non-commercial restriction to our courses. I see no objections to enterprises like yourself providing high quality RPL services using OERu courses. In fact, I would encourage this. If we are serious about widening access to education for the millions of learners excluded from a formal credential -- we need hundreds of operations like yours to make a difference. Learners who can afford it will pay top dollar for the quality of the service you provide.  We are not like some networks in this space, for instance, Coursera, who claim economic rights to an individual's learning from their courses through their terms of service. You, for example, will not be able to assess the experiential learning from Coursera courses without prior permission from Coursera.

The OERu partners will also be offering new services to support OERu learners - -we can do this through the disaggregation of the traditional university package. If a learner, for example, needs a few hours of tutorial support, as publicly funded institutions we will be offering these services on a cost-recovery basis – this is the “new” business we are referring to.

Our mission at the OER Foundation is to build a sustainable ecosystem for the mainstream adoption of open education approaches worldwide. To be clear, the OER Foundation is a registered charity which means all operations are restricted to charitable activities. We are not building a for-profit start-up here, but we will by the nature of our operations be building a model which the commercial start-ups will find hard to compete with. I'm thankful that we're not trying to find ways of paying back millions of dollars of venture capital investment. All our course materials will always be open. Watch this space :-). 

Hi David, 

Thanks for that.

I'm afraid you will need to wait until Sir John Daniel clicks the OERu launch button to sign up ;-). 

An interesting relection: At the first meeting where we floated the idea of the OERu, broadcasting the open meeting to the world in February 2011, Phil Ker, CEO at Otago Polytechnic remarked that the OERu was an aspirational but achievable goal. Judging by our progress thus far - we are achieving this aspirational goal!