Posts made by Irwin DeVries

Jim, I was wondering about THAY as well and Googled the term. It means Teaching Hunch About You.This is in the Hunch privacy policy.
Cheers,

Irwin

This gives us a lot to think about. My "hunch": A few interesting results but as several have noted--behind the scenes they are just collecting and collecting data that can be resold - we are handing over valuable information in exchange for a few moments of trivial diversion. I could see tools like this helping students to select schools and programs - but not replacing real humans where it comes to understanding and advising students in a deeper way. Trust and transparency will be huge issues for educators moving into analytics.

by Irwin DeVries -

Two in a row from Kamloops..this could be contagious! I think the cold has driven us indoors and to our computers!

Why this course? - just today several of us were talking/speculating about what really goes on in our courses, and we developed the analogy of packing a canoe with good stuff and pushing it out to sea with blind faith that students are doing what we expect...and further that they find it helpful and useful--once they get to the other side (assuming they do).

What a huge assumption when you think about it. We do a lot of our learning about our courses and learners waaaayyyy after the fact -- i.e. when it's time for revisions and maintenance. So this course will be a success for me if we can share ideas and learn more about this. And of course - the real success is in the networking opportunity!

I'm Director of Instructional Design at Thompson Rivers University--Open Learning and PhD candidate in Curriculum at Simon Fraser University.

Hi Emma (and Peter),
I get the idea of leading our technology explorations with pedagogy and in the big picture that's what we (hopefully) do. At a more practical level it's a messy process and quite iterative. We come to these explorations with a general sense of expections, hit some walls and also make some interesting discoveries that trigger new ideas. Over time these ideas and potentialities may fold back into revised pedagogies. One approach is to come up with some pedagogical challenges, what-if scenarios and play them out collectively on the tool(s) in front of us. (From what I've seen browsing around for ideas on how people are using Wave, it seems to be pretty good for managing complex, multi-level projects across an organization or work unit.) And then to debrief: e.g. What learning experiences or processes are enhanced by a tool like Wave? What is the "cost-benefit ratio" in time, effort and frustration versus some kind of productivity? Where would we recommend it and why? What type of support would it need?

I think Vivian's points are all very accurate. I would add that an equally intriguing question is, Who is asking for e-learning and why? As Buell and Anderson point out in their lit review, we need to understand the nature of our biases toward e-learning. I think the onus is more on us (as practitioners or theoreticans) to make the argument, than it is on those who seem to resist e-learning in one way or another.