Posts made by Jeff Grann

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear from this international group on your experiences in using technology to support completion. This article references some good work in the US, but I believe I've read this is less of a problem in European universities. Analytics will no doubt be helpful, but what can institutions learn that would help them right now?

What's your secret?

Technology and the completion agenda: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/11/09/completion

Jeff

Thanks for posting for everyone. I had read this one in print and thought it was an excellent article revealing the people behind these innovations. I suspect there are some relevant learnings here about leadership and organizational management in higher education. 

jeff

I tried it out today and thought the site did a great job. The user interface is excellent and the questions were direct and revealing. My recommendations seem to be in the ball park for me and there are a few books/tv shows that I wasn't aware of - must find more time in day.

On the education implications, I'd like to see if these responses from students could yield any additional predictive power beyond current state. Other psychological research has often found very modest effect sizes for these types of self-report indicies on student success. Still the experience was fun and it might build student's investment in their learning community - depending on how it would be implemented.

Jeff 

Attachment Hunch_01112011.JPG

HI Don,

Funny to be taking a course together around the world and meet a fellow home town LAK enthusiast. I suspect your experience in manufacturing would be a reall asset in American higher education. We've struggled to develop agreed upon measures and mature business processes. Looking forward to reading your contributions.

Jeff

After reading this week's article on EDW, I got into a reflection on origin stories. This one seemed to provide a helpful service of linking to many research publications that must have had some impact, but I suspect there is more to the story. The article seems to function better as the 2nd chapter to a dissertation, than as an origin story. Partitioners need to be more self-aware of their work and its origin to be effective advocates. 

Can we help?  It might be too early to know, but what do you think have been the major contributions to formation of the analytic movement in education? How did we get here? Interested in all perspectives and influences.

Baker, S.J.D., Yacef, K. (2009) The State of Educational Data Mining in 2009: A Review and Future Visions: http://www.educationaldatamining.org/JEDM/images/articles/vol1/issue1/JEDMVol1Issue1_BakerYacef.pdf

Jeff Grann