Posts made by Richard Smith

I can't seem to get into the SCoPE part of iTunesU - I think because I have a login for my own courses it keeps bumping me in there rather than to the scope version.

Anyway, here is the download link, and perhaps you could place it into iTunesU for me:

http://arago.cprost.sfu.ca/~smith/usingprofcastandelive.mp4

...r
I am a big fan of iTunesU - it has a number of features to recommend it and I am using it for my course (CMNS 253) at SFU.

When I was setting it up the system administrator (Mike Stanger - brilliant guy) mentioned that it was possible to have students "drop" things in just as I do. I haven't asked him to enable that, but presumably it is possible.

I agree with some of the concerns - especially the nomenclature ("Song" doesn't seem quite right for my 2hr lectures), but I suspect those things won't be hard to fix.

The benefit - using a tool that students already have at hand and know how to use - is a big one.

The upload/file management interface, considering that this is a v.1 product, is so elegant and simple you wonder how people like WebCT could get it SO wrong even after I don't know how many versions. I guess that is one of the things apple is famous for, but I was quite surprised to see someone do file uploads through the web THAT much better.

I've actually created a little screencast of the process of uploading things to the iTunesU, from a professor's perspective. It is a little "breathless", but if anyone is interested I can provide the link. I put it outside iTunesU, since that - for me - is limited to students in my class.

...r
Wonderful question/suggestion, Heather. I don't have anything like an "oral tradition" focus in my teaching.... or do I?

My family is big on family stories, and as my mother has frequently noted - no story is so minor that it can't be embroidered into a bigger story by my father. Tales of the past (distant and recent), colourfully remembered, are a staple around our dinner table.

I think many (most?) of our students can connect with such things. And if you think about it, what is the lecture but story-telling? And seminars? Isn't that foundational for the oral tradition?

I know podcasts might seem a bit too "one way" for effective story telling, but I'd like to hear some alternative examples. I have been podcasting regularly for a course now for six weeks, but it has - so far - all been FROM me and TO the students. I wonder if we can get something going FROM the students to ME (and each other).

Suggestions on how to make this work? I wonder if I can use voice mail to record stories via the telephone. Certainly skype works for this... perhaps I should subscribe to a skype voicemail account and try that out.... in fact, I think I will... right now!

...r

Currently I produce podcasts that are planned, scripted, produced, and contextualized only to the extent that they are recordings of my lectures - and that is a very narrow type of podcast. I wonder if people could share their experience in the time it takes, and the results they get, to actually produce a podcast "from scratch."

Me, I think I've taken the "bread machine" approach - my podcast is almost totally automated, and takes me almost no time at all. But that wouldn't be the same for everyone, is it?

...r