Posts made by Richard Smith

Bruce raises an interesting question - what would *you* do with a podcast if you had one?

I tried something this past winter - using my digital camera in "movie" mode to make impromptu oral histories with my parents and their friends.

The theme I chose - old communication technologies - seemed appropriate, as pretty soon we won't have anyone arround who remembers sending or receiving a telegram or using a crank telephone.

What would YOU do with a podcast?

...r
Hogs back sounds enticing.

Here's a suggestion (if you have a mac):

1. collect up a bunch of photos and make them a "slideshow" in powerpoint or keynote by sticking them in as one picture per page. Quit powerpoint/keynote

2. download and install profcast (http://www.profcast.com)

3. start keynote/powerpoint, open that set of slides

4. start profcast - it will recognize the open set of slides and assume you want to use that

5. check the recording input (either your headset or built in microphone or whatever you have) in the profcast settings

6. click the record button in profcast and it will put your slides into full screen mode

7. "narrate" the slides - tell us what the picture is, why you took it, what is important..

8. When you are done, press escape, and choose the "enhanced podcast" option.

9. profcast will save your images as files, save your audio, and then merge the two into a file, with an ".m4b" extension

10. come back here and click the "iTunesU" link that we have for this seminar (or if your file is small enough, you can upload it right into this forum). Upload the files.

11. come here and tell us if it worked...

...r
Some of our discussion, I think, has headed into specialized or advanced topics in podcasting and it might be helpful if we could hear from some of those of you who are just hearing about this, or don't know what it might mean for you, or are curious about how to get started. Whatever the state you're in, we'd like to hear about it...

And in that spirit, i have attached (look to the top right of this message) a welcome message to this thread. I recorded it in Quicktime Pro, and converted it to MP3 using iTunes.

...r