Discussions started by Richard Smith

Some of our discussion, I think, has headed into specialized or advanced topics in podcasting and it might be helpful if we could hear from some of those of you who are just hearing about this, or don't know what it might mean for you, or are curious about how to get started. Whatever the state you're in, we'd like to hear about it...

And in that spirit, i have attached (look to the top right of this message) a welcome message to this thread. I recorded it in Quicktime Pro, and converted it to MP3 using iTunes.

...r
Without foreclosing discussion on the dangers / downsides of podcasting, how about if we open the discussion with some speculation or comments on the potential and possibilities that podcasting opens up.

In my case one possibility - which, admittedly, I am not fully realizing - is to move "lecture" (one way) material into a one way medium and occupy my face to face time with students with more interactivity and exercises.

The other thing I look to podcasts to provide is an easy, portable, review system for students who want refresher/study material that they can take with them.

What do you see as the potential for podcasting? Please differentiate between "distance" and local/hybrid teaching in your comments. In my case, my use has been as a supplement to local/f2f teaching.

Looking forward to your replies. And some people have already made comments in this area, but perhaps you could repeat/expand on the theme in this discussion thread.

...r
I suppose the best way to start an online discussion is with some introductions. In this case, who are you and what is your experience (if any) with podcasting?

I will go first:

My name is Richard Smith and I am a professor at SFU. I teach in the school of communication and I have been podcasting for about a year and a half.

My experience in educational podcasting has been in my second year course on information technology and society. I do an "enhanced podcast," which means I can be heard and my powerpoint (keynote) slides are "flipping" in the iTunes/iPod screen.

I look forward to hearing your introductions and once we've done that I'd like to move through three additional questions, which we'll put into separate discussion topics (I'll create these in the coming days):

1. What do you think is possible with podcasting in an educational context?

2. What do you think is desireable with podcasting in an educational context?

3. What to you worry about when you think about podcasting?

Anyway, let's hear from you!

...r