Posts made by dave cormier

[SCoPE] LAK11 -> HELP! -> signing up -> Re: signing up

by dave cormier -
Hi Larry,

The multiple sign-ins are a direct result of the distributed nature of the course. One of the challenges in developing moocs is balancing offering options/choice to people with giving them something that is transparent.

In earlier courses, we have tried completely contained systems and we ran into many difficulties with it not being able to do some of the things we needed.

In the end, we are trying to work in spaces that can be maintained outside of the supports normally afforded by working inside institutions. This space has been kindly offered by the good folks at scope and google, of course, is free for this kind of use.

I understand the frustration, trust me, I've got more signins than i can really keep track of :) as with most things... my advice is blame george.

hope you enjoy the course!

[SCoPE] LAK11 -> Introductions -> Facilitator and student ombudsmen...

by dave cormier -
I'm one of the facilitators of this course, but more, really, for my experience in open online courses than for my record of research in learning analytics. I've been a dabbler in the field over the past 18 months and am looking forward to learning more, in a more focused way, over the next few months.

I'm going to consider myself the 'ombud' for the student in this course, particularly for the uninitiated. There are a number of challenges to running this kind of course, and, in particular, the difficulty with running an introduction to a topic filled with experts who all want to talk to each other at an 'expert' level. I'll blog more about this during the course, but feel free to send your concerns and complaints my way.

I'm very interested to know where people are having difficulties or where there are challenges. So fire away.