Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Ahmad,

I conducted my online interviews in August and September 2009 using SKYPE because I wanted to make the tools as simple as possible. Initially, I wanted to use WiZiQ or Elluminate because I had been using both for online facilitation. In the end, I opted for SKYPE because some participants wanted the interviews to be conducted by phone. The only way I could afford to make long distance phone calls was via SKYPE. An additional reason for choosing SKYPE was simplicity. I found that some people are intimidated by online conference rooms such as Elluminate, WiZiQ, Dimdim, and Interwise. I didn't want them to feel any discomfort due to technology. Finally, one of my aims in conducting distance interviews was to make the participants feel at ease so that I could get as much authentic information as possible. I believed, but this needs further research, that I could get people to be more open and less distracted online than face-to-face. I would be interested in researching both online and face-to-face interviews to learn whether there is any basis to this belief because I have heard others mention it.
Hi Ahmad,

The IRB was concerned about the protection of the participants' identity and keeping the information from the interview under lock and key when everything can leak out on the Internet. I had to convince them that I would not keep anyone's name on record and would ensure that no trace remained of the audios once I had transcribed them. It seemed that the word "delete" was not in their lexicon. They wanted me to add that I would keep the data on a memory stick and physically destroy the key after 3 years.

My mentor was surprised by the ordeal since the University of Phoenix is an online university and the IRB and ARB had never given anyone such a hard time as they had given me.
Hi Janet,
I used tipcam to record and capture both video and audio on skype. Although I am very visual, I found the webcam distractive and preferred to focus on the audio. Currently, I am reviewing the transcriptions to make sure I didn't leave anything out. In addition, I have been listening to each of the 20 interviews on my iPhone in the car and on the iPod wherever I can. The more I listen the more I see the recurring themes. I must confess that I was amazed by the participants' openness and positive approach to the interview. It seems that face-to-face body cues detract more than they contribute to the closeness between the interviewer and the interviewee in real life interactions. Finally, I felt that a certain bond developed between the interviewee and myself.
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch