Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

As I mentioned in the google groups, I'm willing to contribute my time to making this work in any way I can. Maybe we can get a sticker/template for "I am a volunteer" for our information box on WikiEducator so we can be contacted when needed. Jim (tech person on WE) can create the box and connect it to the list of volunteers quite easily.
I get the feeling that there are a lot more OER or learning objects as many of these used to be called in the past, out there. Is there a plan to connect all OER under one roof or just to categorize and share the links? I have been following the Merlot, Edna, and Wisconsin Learning Objects OER concept for a number of years. I am trying to envision the development of the OER university. I hope it will have lots of traffic.

SCoPE: Seminars -> OER university: Feb 16-Mar 2, 2011 -> Checking in

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Oops, I hadn't realized I was required to check in. I am very excited about free e-learning and helping educators learn to create and share OERs. Getting accreditation for the OERs is a very important step.

I have been active on WikiEducator and have facilitated many L4C online and face-to-face workshops. I am a strong believer in collaborating and sharing freely, but I am quite along in my neck of the woods so I search for educators online to share and create online courses and free online conferences such as Moodle for Teachers (M4T) and Connecting Online (CO09, CO10, CO11). It would be great to get accreditation for the free professional M4T workshops we are providing for educators around the world.

I am a bit confused about the term OER University after listening to Wayne's conversation with Steve. Is the idea to have an environment for free OERs since the OER Veristy will not be giving degrees. So, how is it different from WikiEducator or Wikiversity?

Thank you for starting this discussion forum on SCoPE, Sylvia and Paul.
I enjoyed listening to the recording and wished I had been there at the live event. I feel that many educators need to learn more about sharing and collaborating. I find that many educators would benefit from receiving hands on workshops on how to collaborate. Most instructors seem to be very possessive about their ideas and are fearful of sharing them with others. Wayne models a sharing mindset that is admirable.
Hi Everyone,

I am so pleased about the initiative because I have been doing all I can to promote free e-learning around the world and here we are doing just that. My reason for becoming a facilitator of the Learning for Content (L4C) initiative on WikiEducator was to help others learn about developing OERs and more importantly learning to collaborate. The call to collaborate is not an easy one because many instructors in higher education have not practiced the skill of online collaboration. From my experiences, when they take workshops that involve online collaboration, they learn to value it. This brings me to another point. Content is not enough for learning. Learners need to interact with the content, peers (these may be international colleagues or those who are outside the campus), and an instructor. While the idea for a free credited university is great, there is a need for social learning. There are many ways connect learners with each other and the instructor for social learning through Moodle, Wordpress (org) and so on.

However, there should be hands-on workshops for instructors on how to facilitate using OERs so that learners become critical independent learners. Furthermore, assessment may need to focus on skills need in today's society such as creative thinking and problem solving. Collaboration is the key and we need to work on ways to persuade those who are not members of SCoPE and WikiEducator about the value of collaborative learning.