Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Lynn,

I found that having a space for discussions before, during, and after the online conference made the experience worthwhile. I found the following technologies appropriate for such discussions: Moodle, facebook, and Ning. I didn't like Google or Yahoo groups for the discussions.

I would like to see changes in the way live online conferences and online classes are conducted but the technology that is available is keeping me behind. I have mostly presented/participated in Adobe Connect, Elluminate, Webex, GotoMeeting, and WiZiQ. Only the team at WiZiQ have listened to my suggestions on how to improve the platform. The CEOs behind the technologies available for webinars don't seem to see the need for change. I get the feeling that no one is demanding changes and the companies are making enough profits as is, so why bother. For example, I have tried to interest Adobe Connect and Elluminate to make changes to cater to Arab & Hebrew, which are both written from right to left, but they refused. As a teacher/facilitator/instructor, I would like the virtual rooms to cater to my needs and they are behind. They are forcing me and some of my colleagues to teach in traditional ways that are no longer suitable for our students. I would like technology to serve my needs and fail to understand the point of using old ways with new technologies.

Lynn,

From the descriptions of the chapters, the book seems to be a great asset for now. Hopefully, technology is changing as a result of ideas on how to improve online conferences. I think feedback from organizers and participants would contribute to improving online conferences. In addition, new tools for online platforms and social networks with innovative apps for communication are being developed as we speak. As a result, books about online conferences may need to be upgraded quite frequently. I would definitely consider editing a follow up of the book with ongoing case studies.

Having such discussions is a great way to move forward in the direction of collaborative wiki books because they may be easier to upgrade than printed books or e-books. Any thoughts on the subject of wikibooks?  

Hi Lynn & Terry,

I'm sorry I missed the live presentation on Elluminate,but then watching the recording at a later time (or maybe over and over again) is one benefit of the online conference.

I agree with Tony about the importance of the book. I wish I had known about the research you were conducting so I could contribute my experiences, too. I think a few case studies by people who organize and present at online conferences as well as connecting face-to-face and online conferences would make an interesting addition to the book.

Thank you for hosting this seminar on SCoPE, Sylvia.

Hi Nick,

I view the writing of e-portfolios as a collaborative process that combines reflective practice and social networking. I find the Mahara great for e-portfolios because it is a social network, too. You are invited to create a group for your colleagues on IT4ALL Mahara . Let me know if you'd like me to also create an institution for you.

Nellie
Hello Everyone,

I think it's a great idea for us to have a pre-worshop discussion among ourselves to get to know one another. I think this kind of inquiry learning will provide the facilitator of the workshop with excellent input on how to cater to our needs as participants of this workshop.

I have survived the formal education system and am considering doing a postdoctorate. I say survive because I had to follow the system and do my own thing by going beyond the requirements of the programs and courses or die of boredom. That is why I believe learners should try to set their own learning outcomes at the beginning or during the course or program. However, the instructor and organization should provide the syllabus and assessment rubrics in advance so students know what is expected of them in order to pass the course.

Sylvia has provided opening questions that I provide my students, too, but that I don't particularly like to answer myself. I would say there are things that I must do as an instructor that are not always compatible with how I learn.

However, to answer the questions posed. As a teacher, I am interested in involving my students in reflective practice through the use of multimedia and electronic portfolios. In order to do that, I get my students to ask questions and reflect on the content and the tasks that they are expected to do. I use Mahara for reflective practice and as a social network to engage my students. I also use facebook (class groups) and encourage them to create their own blogs. I have also used WikiEducator for student projects.

I would be interested in learning what others are using.