Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

I may be late in responding, but I feel that the OER can function in formal and informal education. It can follow the traditional accreditation with degrees or other credit system/work promotion for formal learning and cater to those who wish to learn for skill development and/or other reasons.
Hi Bron,

Thank you for correcting me. I just remembered that it was you who had originally created the facilitating online communities workshop on WikiEducator. Learning is not only about acquiring information, it's about utilizing and building on the information. Authentic (experiential, interactive, reflective) learning should be empathized. I believe we can expand and create OERs that are dynamic. It's time the educational system went beyond content and into the realm of "flexible learning". The jargon may be different across languages and countries, but the idea is the same. Let's guide the learner to experience learning.

This seminar is great because it has brought admin, people with business ideas, and instructors together. The OER initiative is brilliant but needs leaders to move it forward.
Dear Wayne,

Thank you for the clarifications and for relating to Integrating Technology as I do wear a few hats. However, I was referring to the hat I wear as an instructor of English as a foreign language (EFL) at a campus-based engineering college and high school and not as the CEO of IT4ALL. I agree that having a good business model is our bread and butter. However, I was still disappointed along with many other students who may not have the money to pay for their education. The online course I was referring to is on WikiEducator. In the past few months, there were not enough paying students who wished to take the course for credit, so the course was cancelled. I have been an invited speaker on a volunteer basis for the course a number of times, so I thought I had the correct information, but I'm always ready to be corrected. I highly recommend this awesome course on "facilitating online" by Sarah Stewart which can be accessed on WikiEducator. 

Additionally, we each have our philosophies of education. I would like to contribute as much as I can to making e-learning free of charge for those who cannot afford the tuition. I am willing to do my part on a volunteer basis. If anyone in this seminar or if you know of someone who is looking for a volunteer, please feel free to contact me

I love the win-win for access and sustainability. 

Warm wishes,
Nellie

Mary, I wonder if the OER initiative is going to exclude non-affliated teachers. Does the system intend to isolate experienced online instructors and course designers and include only faculty of the institutions that joined the OER university? It would make sense to only include faculty of the educational institutions to ensure quality of content and for the purpose of accreditation. How open and how free (tuition) can the resources and courses be under the OER movement for instructors and students who are not affiliated with the schools of the OER university? Will the system allow non-affliated teachers to receive payment for their work and students free online learning without having to pay for the courses?  For example, I was very disappointed to learn that a free online course headed by the OTAGO PolyTechnic in New Zealand was cancelled twice recently after 3 years because the instructor was told that she would only be paid if there were enough paying students who would in turn receive certificates. The free facilitating online course started with Leigh Blackall (affiliated with Otago Polytechnic in 2008 on WikiEducator. Is this going to be the situation with the universities who join the OER movement?

I find that the educators who take online professional development workshops at Integrating Technology (IT4ALL) are not interested in degrees, but they are interested in taking courses that can be used for promotion and increase in salary. The workshops I provide are not accredited by a university. How will the accreditation work for workshops provided by educators such as myself?