Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Sylvia,

I was also disturbed by students who complained about losing out due to collaborations. My high school students and I have been collaborating with teachers and their students around the world since the mid 90s using WebQuests and other projects. Competition seems to take away from the collaborative projects. I have encountered negative attitudes from native speakers as well as non-native speakers of English. My Israeli students complained when the level of English was too low and the American and Canadians did the same against my Israeli non-native speakers of English. Apparently, collaborating is great when grades and competition are not involved.

I believe teachers should practice collaborating and encourage students to do the same. Collaborating may not be natural to some, but the benefits of learning to collaborate wholeheartedly are worth the try.

Derek,

I love how you describe collaboration as "a thing of the heart, and is a nurturing thing. Not so much emphasis on what you get back.' And the dark side: certain factors in leadership and environment can KILL collaboration dead".

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Collaboration flowers with the heart but can go sour with leadership. I often wonder whether collaboration and leadership can coexist or not.

I would love to hear what others think about collaboration and leadership.

Thank you
Nellie
http://wikieducator.org/SCoPE/Seminar/Collaborative_Projects
Hello Bron,
I am finding that in order to contribute wholeheartedly to my online ventures, I need to be super quick on the keyboard and at multitasking so I can do a lot in a very short time. I would not be able to manage as much as I do online, offline. Time seems to take on another dimension online. I am much more mindful of my work online than I am offline, but the price I pay is time.

I would be interested in how others find online collaboration as opposed to face-to-face collaboration.

Warm wishes,
Nellie
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM, P Fahrni <pfahrni@shaw.ca> wrote:
Hi Nellie - I need to clarify - hierarchical structure constrains collaboration - "leadership" emerges and moves around among the collaborative group. Many of us are familiar and comfortable with collaborative processes and understand or quickly glean the culture of a collaborative project. How is this culture shared with people new to collaboration? Is a critical mass of experienced collaborators necessary (new participants absorb culture), or can collaborative culture be explained up front?
Bye for now,
Paddy