Posts made by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Hi Jo Ann,
I am glad that I you are still involved with the Amarok Society. BTW Tanyss has written a book on the mother-teacher initiative. I think volunteering to help learners that cannot afford what we can is a great idea. SCoPE would be an ideal community to help recruit members to teach English and other subjects to the mothers in Bangladesh.

Hi Sylvia and Scope Members,

Excellent questions that need answers.

Let me begin by saying that my interest in SCoPE is to learn with others.

Here are my answers:
  1. I liked the thought provoking questions and responses on the discussion forums and Sylvia's very warm and invitational facilitation.
  2. I would add more hands on activities outside the Moodle in other learning environments such as youtube or other web 2.0 tools. In addition, as a Moodler, I would like more control over the platform. The practical hands on session with Jessy was heading in the right direction as far as my needs went.
  3. I would like more hands-on activities.

Now for a little background:

I have been a high school and higher education teacher for over 30 years. The reason I have survived the public education system in my country is my focus on the learner. i have learned about effective and efficient instruction and learning by listening to my students and allowing their needs dictate my instruction. Online learning is exactly the same. I have been grappling with the question of how to make the online learning experience effective for the learner and instructor. I believe a satisfied learner will come back for more or get it elsewhere.

I would love to connect with others in finding ways to engage the learner.

Here is an article about WebQuests as a way to engage learners. I would love to co-facilitate a hands on seminar on how to create WebQuests on SCoPE.

Thank you.

Warm wishes,

Nellie
Join us for the wrap up, today!

The live online event will be a hands on interactive workshop.

Looking forward to "seeing" you there. Warm wishes, Gladys and Nellie

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - changed link for Gladys Gahona. Original submission Friday, 28 August 2009, 03:01 AM)