Discussions started by Dr. Nellie Deutsch

SCoPE: Seminars -> OER university: Feb 16-Mar 2, 2011 -> Checking in

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Oops, I hadn't realized I was required to check in. I am very excited about free e-learning and helping educators learn to create and share OERs. Getting accreditation for the OERs is a very important step.

I have been active on WikiEducator and have facilitated many L4C online and face-to-face workshops. I am a strong believer in collaborating and sharing freely, but I am quite along in my neck of the woods so I search for educators online to share and create online courses and free online conferences such as Moodle for Teachers (M4T) and Connecting Online (CO09, CO10, CO11). It would be great to get accreditation for the free professional M4T workshops we are providing for educators around the world.

I am a bit confused about the term OER University after listening to Wayne's conversation with Steve. Is the idea to have an environment for free OERs since the OER Veristy will not be giving degrees. So, how is it different from WikiEducator or Wikiversity?

Thank you for starting this discussion forum on SCoPE, Sylvia and Paul.
Hi Sylvia and Scope Members,

Excellent questions that need answers.

Let me begin by saying that my interest in SCoPE is to learn with others.

Here are my answers:
  1. I liked the thought provoking questions and responses on the discussion forums and Sylvia's very warm and invitational facilitation.
  2. I would add more hands on activities outside the Moodle in other learning environments such as youtube or other web 2.0 tools. In addition, as a Moodler, I would like more control over the platform. The practical hands on session with Jessy was heading in the right direction as far as my needs went.
  3. I would like more hands-on activities.

Now for a little background:

I have been a high school and higher education teacher for over 30 years. The reason I have survived the public education system in my country is my focus on the learner. i have learned about effective and efficient instruction and learning by listening to my students and allowing their needs dictate my instruction. Online learning is exactly the same. I have been grappling with the question of how to make the online learning experience effective for the learner and instructor. I believe a satisfied learner will come back for more or get it elsewhere.

I would love to connect with others in finding ways to engage the learner.

Here is an article about WebQuests as a way to engage learners. I would love to co-facilitate a hands on seminar on how to create WebQuests on SCoPE.

Thank you.

Warm wishes,

Nellie
Join us for the wrap up, today!

The live online event will be a hands on interactive workshop.

Looking forward to "seeing" you there. Warm wishes, Gladys and Nellie

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - changed link for Gladys Gahona. Original submission Friday, 28 August 2009, 03:01 AM)

I attribute my involvement in collaborative projects to the Internet and web 2.0 tools. My aim has been to connect online for peaceful coexistence and learning.

This is the last week of the seminar. Some of you have voiced your thoughts and some have been silent. I would be interested in learning more about your experiences.

Please share:

1. How did you get involved in collaborative projects?
  2. How are you collaborating?
  3. What tools or environments are you using?
  4. What is keeping you involved in collaborating?
  5. How do you envision the future of collaborative projects?

The following video depicts some interesting ideas on collective intelligence may be of interest and may help you answer the question:

Thank you.

Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Dear Friends,

WikiEducator is a community of educators who are passionate about instruction and learning. I would like you to experience the kind of collaborative work Gladys and I have encountered by creating an account and logging into the pages we have created for the seminar on SCoPE to get the feel of our work on the wiki.

You are invited to join us on Collaborative Projects on WikiEducator.

Thank you.

Nellie