Posts made by Derek Wenmoth

Hi Cynthia
good question re the way technologies might change/expand/alter the diagram - based on my current observations and research my hunch is a tentative "no". I'm seeing the same patterns of participatory behaviour emerging in young people's participation in MMOGs for instance - the difference being that in many cases they "accelerate" through the stages more quickly. Of course, I'm also a believer in the notion that a new technology changes everything (the ecological change theory) - thus I'm fully open to the idea that at some stage we'll see some paradigmatic change(s) that will challenge these existing understandings.
Barb
thanks for the feedback on the diagram - I think you've identified the two key things really well - participation and control (or whatever words one might choose to describe these characteristics) - and the issue of risk in terms of people "putting themselves out there". We know from face to face interactions that some people are more likely to "shoot form the hip" and begin speaking in a group from the start, while others take a while to warm up, preferring to process what is going on before they offer a more "informed" opinion or idea.

In the research work we've been doing into participation in online communities at CORE Education over the past ten years or so we've consistently seen the same patterns of behaviour emerging. The important thing to remember also is that there's a developmental thing going on here too - which is where the issue of time comes in. It would be improper to base any observations purely on the analysis of participation in a single community - as people become more familiar and confident, so these patterns of participation develop. We've had the opportunity to see groups of teachers who are pursuing a graduate qualification online go through several years of this, and notice how their familiarity with the environment, understanding of the protocols and confidence in sharing ideas has matured over time and so alter the nature of  participation in the entire community (for instance, the more experienced ones help induct new members etc.)

Regarding context, there are so many things to consider here - geographical context (location), proximity (ie do the participants get to meet each other face to face in addition to online), culture, experience/background etc. In all regards, my experience would be that context is a defining variable in terms of participation in an online community, but overall, the same pattern as illustrated in my diagram persists.

There's  my ten cents worth :-)
Hi Barb

this is indeed an interesting topic as it challenges a lot of the existing assumptions we have or may have about the nature of dialogue that occurs in our face to face classrooms etc. I've thought about this in the context of how people interact with blogs, and the disappointment that some people feel when they fail to get feedback or comments posted on their blog. I came up with a very simple model to illustrate my thinking at the time (see http://blog.core-ed.net/derek/2006/11/participation_online_the_four.html). In my diagram I've attempted to capture the motivation of people at each level, the sorts of behaviours that characterise participation at each level, and  the outcomes in terms of community development (however that may be understood). I'd be interested to know if this is along the lines that you're thinking?