Posts made by Michelle Laurie

Hi Jane and Hi Ross, 

Firstly Kudos to both of you for having awesome activities and ideas - very nice! 

Building a little on Ross's questions and comments my questions and comments are: 

1. I think is a fantastic way to go about the review process in broad strokes. 

2. I would keep it to day one as other days could be dedicated to more detailed thinking/changes needed. 

3. I imagine you could probably use the other course instructors to provide some ideas on breaking the unhelpful patterns and coming up with solutions. Aside for detailed course content, some of the unhelpful ness may be in process and the way materials are delivered. This could be a follow up session (still on day 1) using Troika Consulting or nine why's (if unpacking why this is really not great is needed). 

4. In terms of figuring out ways to improve other parts of each course, I wonder if another helpful activity may be to develop a list of minimum specs for courses in general - what they must have. This could give people a shared understanding of what to look for (for example ensuring content is current and not from 20 years ago, etc). That may come up in the first activity too about what needs to change. 

Lots of ideas. Curious if any of the feedback is useful and if you have other questions? 

Cheers, 

Michelle

Hi Ross, 

I think you chose a really fun activity to help break the ice with new staff and dig right into challenges and solutions! I might have a few scenarios on hand in case people don't have one to provide. Though I imagine most people will easily come up with something. 

In terms of feedback, I'd say watch the clock, give people 2 min warnings for when they are in small groups and let them know in advance the activity is supposed to be fast so its okay if it feels that way. 

For the debrief you could do a what, so what, now what or ....general round of comments perhaps inviting people to share one tip they gained through the session.  

What additional feedback are you looking for? 

Great job and impressed you did it on time too!!

Michelle

Hi Nancy, 

In terms of selling, I've recently been in the situation where the client is really involved in the process. In fact they asked for a design for some meetings/processes and then go off and do it on their own. Thus, I end up explaining the process, how it works, how they might do it, (share the LS website) however they tend to decide to go ahead or not based on how its presented to them or how much chance they want to take. Often they have not experienced the process. Though I agree wholeheartedly that once you experience and live the process, its easier to understand and buy into the methods. 

Focusing on the invitation is interesting and something I'd like to think about more. Thanks! 

Cheers, 

Michelle

Hi Nancy, 

In terms of selling, I've recently been in the situation where the client is really involved in the process. In fact they asked for a design for some meetings/processes and then go off and do it on their own. Thus, I end up explaining the process, how it works, how they might do it, (share the LS website) however they tend to decide to go ahead or not based on how its presented to them or how much chance they want to take. Often they have not experienced the process. Though I agree wholeheartedly that once you experience and live the process, its easier to understand and buy into the methods. 

Focusing on the invitation is interesting and something I'd like to think about more. Thanks! 

Cheers, 

Michelle

Hi Asif, 

Your questions are relevant. For me, what seems like common sense is not necessarily the culture in all places. I don't have the answer of how to spur wider changes that may be desired as often organizations are not truly looking to be liberated at all levels. However I'm curious to see what happens as more people participate as really it begins with the people and their willingness to try (in my opinion). And lastly, even one can't truly crack every nut with LS, at least it won't be another boring powerpoint?! 

Michelle