Posts made by Nancy White

Sue, what my Black friends, particularly my women friends, share with me is that I must dispense with my own white fragility. So there is this interesting edge between vulnerability AND not expecting my Aboriginal colleagues and friends to bear the burden of my ignorance, nor my shame at times, right? Interesting space for reflection. Thanks for taking the time to post your observations!

Thanks, Dianne, and great to e-be with you again! 

We have been struggling with which Tribal lands we are actually on, and so far without guidance from someone from each of those Tribes, we still have work to do. The particular location in Seattle was apparently a place where many Tribes have been and met over the years, right on the shores of Lake Washington. Belonging is such a multifaceted word and concept. 

What has been liberating reading others' work is the share recognition that a lack of clarity about our own roots, how we identify as a race or as a citizen of a national entity obscures our belongingness to our past. And that acknowledgement is from and to each other both as individuals and as communities. Quite beautiful. And complex. I have more confidence for our meeting on the 28th and I have planned to ask not only for additional input and advice, but feedback.  Thanks again for the super timely opportunity.  I am writing this from the Swinomish lands on the verge of Skagit Bay. 

I am strongly influenced by this article: which resonates with my reluctance to formulaic tick the box, but I acknowledge I have to start somewhere! https://apihtawikosisan.com/2016/09/beyond-territorial-acknowledgments/

I acknowledge with both my gratitude and knowledge of my own ignorance that I live, work and exist on the ancestral lands of the many Coast Salish tribes. I am a settler with my family coming from Italy, Holland, Ireland and England and my relations are scattered across the US, Argentina, Taiwan and England. I am married into a family who came from Poland and England, the latter as an indentured servant who went on to own a plantation, likely with slaves. I acknowledge I am learning and I'm am grateful for the opportunity.

I'm a freelancer and work with all kinds of groups. One I'm working with now is a network of people working on a floodplain approach called "Floodplains by Design." In this work we are working with, on and around Tribal lands and the work is deeply rooted in Tribal ways and governance. As we meet, I struggle with how to authentically acknowledge Indigenous lands in a way that resonates through our time and work together. So I'm here! 

Most know I'm a chocoholic. Some know we are raising our granddaughters. Few know I used to play in a bluegrass band!

Thanks

Nancy

We have quite a few links, resources and other goodies to share with you. We'll put links here. Please feel free to add good stuff you have. First off, we recommend you join our RosViz Facebook group (it grew out of the first workshop Michelle and I did). It is a treasure chest of links. Just ask to join and one of us will approve you as soon as we are on FB! We're looking forward to our time together!