Posts made by Nancy White

Great advice! This is great for selling up. I have already identified some things I can do to help the decision makers move forward in their plans and encourage more informal learning.

How about selling to participants who complain that informal learning is too much work? LOL

Actually, that is not the question. The question, or perhaps more clearly, the practices I'm looking to uncover are those that offer participants a quick win to see the power of informal learning. So they can shift their learning time investment from meaningless "check the box" courses to driving their own learning.

So far one thing that has worked well was to post an introductory reference text (transition from the familiar), then ask each person to share the project they are working on and let the group offer peer consulting. People found value in trying to articulate their projects clearly on the outbound communication, and got feedback, pointers to resources and even some offers of help on the inbound. This was not "fill in the blanks to answer the questions, " but a few questions to tee off an inquiry into their work.

We just started week 4 and I think it is sinking in that this is not a course about reading materials and maybe answering a few quizes. They are interested. They are a bit skeptical.

What they are saying now is the invitation to informal learning asks them to devote more time and attention beyond reading an article on the train on the way home. Heaven help us, they have to THINK. Not regurgitate. Decades of training enculturation is challenged!

My goal is by the end of 7 weeks each person had at least one lightbulb moment!
I am totally nodding in agreement what what you are saying. But I also think there is a reality check here. And I need help!

What do you do when you set up informal learning, but you are working in a culture that is so acculturated to spoon fed, linear, GIVE ME THE RIGHT ANSWER practices that they balk at thinking for themselves.

What do you do?