Posts made by Nancy White

I found a few more juicy links today while doing work avoidance (I have one plan and one report to write. Can you say P-R-O-C-R-A-S-T-I-N-A-T-E?)

An interesting blog post on facilitator/teacher style when using blogs and other social media in education.

She made a couple of points with which I do not entirely agree. Firstly, on the issue of authority. In order to reduce her students? perception of her as the sage on the stage (I?m paraphrasing here), Barbara does not participate very much in the blogspace inhabited by her students. She believes that in order to reduce her ?authority? she needs to act in the wings rather than centre stage, as it were. She has her own blog, but rarely comments on students? blogs. However, there are three difficulties with this approach in my opinion.

Firstly, by choosing to stay on the sidelines she is, in fact, exercising her authority. Certainly, as I understand it, her students cannot make the same choice: they have to participate.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, a good way to encourage mutual respect and non-authoritarian behaviour is to model it, and you can only effectively do that by participating on the same terms as everybody else.

Finally, this approach seems to ignore the fact that students often want to be given guidance by an authority figure, and this for two reasons.

Firstly, children are always testing the boundaries of acceptability, especially in terms of behaviour. To not point out when they have stepped over an invisible boundary does them no service whatsoever, given that the real world doesn?t work like that.

Secondly, and more relevant here, people don?t know what they don?t know, and therefore want and need someone to at least point them in the right direction.

I noted this to highlight for me the different faciltiation practices that may or may not be part of informal learning. In fact, that would be an interesting discussion. I'm have lots of conflicting thoughts and feelings!

Harold Jarche's post on the Learning Profession. Wonderful stuff. Jay, chime in on this one because it is connected to your work! A response from a colleague of Harold and Jay's.

Some great stuff here. First, thank you, everyone. I feel like I just stepped into a coaching lounge! Ahhhhhh.... Clearly, my facilitator hat is off at the moment.

What I'm noticing is that we seem to have lots of practices around using groups to stimulate informal learning. Going to the idea of different models that Christie and Nancy R have mentioned, what are some practices around nurturing informal learning in individuals. Or is that an oxymoron?

The report back I got this morning from a group of participants who ARE co located (in Rome - but the workshop is all online) who had coffee was:

1. We want you to do more preparation of the material as facilitator. We want smaller bites. We want answers. We want templates for the activities, not just questions.

2. We can give you 15 minutes, but not an hour (I was intrigued by the thought that they are giving me time... hmm, lots of food for thought.)

So I'm thinking again about the idea of "small wins" that open up the possibility of their driving the agenda. Smaller bits of exploration and thinking with some structure, but structure that opens up, not narrows, the destination.

I'm wondering how much of it might be individual rather than group. (They see group organizing as onerous perhaps?) Or to riff off of the role idea, suggest more specific roles that enable creation of their learning path, rather than me "creating" it for them.

By the way, there are some successes, despite the pleasĀ  of "I have no time." One group has discovered itself and the interest around a community of folks who deal with internal and external communications in the org. They lit their own fuse today. YES!!!