Posts made by Nancy White

Now that we are done, and you know this is Troika Consulting, I'll break the rules and comment!

1. Using Google sides where everyone can edit has worked out really well. If everyone creates a slide, everyone can just look at the Google slide or we can slide share in the main room. I find people like the control of going directly to the Google slide. Then they can move between slides at THEIR pace. So each person could have a slide, or pairs, etc. Lots of flexibility!

• I had to really let go and think differently about LS in asynch environment
  • Amazed at level of engagement w/ peers! YAY!
  • Wasn't quite sure about the =/- value of replies with marginalia. 
  • Heard lots of people with similar challenges. (or should I say "read"!)
  • Felt the tasks were appropriate sized
  • Read posts from a lot of smart, experienced people

I'm loving these ideas (and also trying to sense into the marginalia participation. Weird but pleasant riff off of Troika Consulting for sure.)

The constraints of people's time and attention do make asynch trickier for these.  So would a little video of a pair doing 9 whys help them understand that asking variants of why (see the prompts on the webpage) might help? So much of my F2F LS practice does involve a little bit of show and tell to lay out the structure. This requires us to think differently. I like that. 

Oh my, I'm loving how you, Sue, and Bettina are stretching my imagination with asynchronous LS. I think we need to write a blog post at the end to share with the LS community. 

Right off the bat I was surprised that the 9 why part was done as an individual activity. My past perception and thus my belief (Ladder of Inference at play!) is that the power is when someone else is asking me the why, and they are listening to me, helping me find my blocks and move deeper. WOuld I have the discipline to really work it myself? 

Then I recalled a conversation that is happening in the LS CoP about "individual LS" - using LS on one's self and this reflects that same perspective. I want to connect Bettina with that small circle of people. People like Jim Best who - kismet - finished his PhD in OD just a couple of years ago just before retiring from his "day job."

And, I have to say, I LOVE the 9 word story. Imagine doing that WITH Drawing Together!!!!

Yes, Bettina, I'm seeing strings of subsequent LS to do something with the list that emerges. Min Specs to identify the absolute must/must not dos, Purpose to Practice. When we can keep advancing the learning/work, it goes beyond using an LS as something novel, to rethinking social learning in a course group. 

One of my challenges when I was working with professors was to focus on the purpose of each LS use to keep from using them simply for novelty (and I LIKE NOVELTY!!), and their feedback on use in the classroom was that sometimes they got pushback when they used the same LS repeatedly. So there is always this balance. And now I'm rambling. Probably posting before first morning caffeine is NOT a good idea!