Posts made by Kim FLINTOFF

Without sounding too flippant - I guess defining what the problem really is will contribute to arrive at a desired outcome. In this cas, I'd be the one saying the administration and its position was the problem...and backing it up with lots of research and evidence... It may take a long while but the effort would be worth it.
While Safari is the default there is a growing range if alternatives. Besides, many apps are effectively purpose built browsers and bypass the need to open a generic browser anymore. This is a whole new world of interaction and trying to lock it down is a pointless and retrograde activity.

The iPad is a personal device - to try to lock it into some institutional uniformity is equally silly.

It really does feel like we've stepped back 15 years in relation to access practices and policies in schools when I hear about such undertakings.
The author may make these assertions but to mind they're unnecessary. I've worked with a 1-1 laptop program, every staff member and every student had their own machine, with full admin rights and no active monitoring or filtering.

It worked well - prohibition was seen as counter-productive and the whole exercise of appropriate and responsible use is undermined if its not possible for a student has the responsibility stripped away.

Education is always a better option.
OK - I might be silly here... but if you are assessing using outcomes then why would someone need to described the learning they went through. The outcome is an arrival point, the learning is the journey there. If I can demonstrate the outcome...why should it be important describing how I arrived?

I thought that was exactly what RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) protocols were for...to allow people to leverage their experience against existing academic criteria to demonstrate the achievement of particular skills, knowledge and beliefs.

If I spend a lifetime engaged in something that interests me I'm bound to learn a lot about it... if I seek to enter professional or academic ranks within that same field then it's reasonable to ask me to demonstrate what I've learned.

The same applies if I wish to become a student in formal education settings - there ought to be effective mechanisms that establish that first step of all good teaching - determine the level of prior learning.

What's the point of going through early undergraduate offerings if my informally acquired knowledge and ability surpasses what these students are asked to learn?