Posts made by George Kurtz

Hi Nicki,

You present an interesting question.  One we at The VIT World Group, in Second Life, are spending a lot of time on researching that very question.  As many of you are aware, we have developed a very large 2D Mind Map of Virtual Information Technologies.  Recently, we have brought it in world and now have it functional in Second Life's 3D space.  We are in the process of planning the next step and would like to know how we could make it a useful collaboration tool.  Your input would be helpful.  Our plans include:

• Convert the currently 2D Mind Map to function on a wiki.
  • Allow users to build their own mind map and collaborate on it in a group.
  • Add tagging so users can build a mind map and display it in a list format, based on their area(s) of interest.
  • Allow updating and displaying of the mind map from either the web or in world and eventually from the desktop.

The current 2D & 3D mind maps can be seen in Second Life at LM Quiricosta (226-90-108).  Also, there are articles on VIT World and its work in the November and December issues of www.theseventhsun.com.

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas.

George Kurtz

Hi Emma,

I find mindmaps second nature. I guess it's all my years as a computer programmer (using flowcharts), plus my years managing large data centers using (configuration maps).  The only way for me to get my mind wrapped around a large computer network or project is to develop a mindmap.

That being said, I believe that category names and the entries in the notes section are key to find what one is looking for.  The Find feature in Mindmanager is not too bad.

One interesting note, the Human Brain stores information in a hierarchical format.  So the name--mindmap.

Regards,
George Kurtz

Hi Everyone,

I have been hearing that there is a need for a central knowledge base of Second Life Places.  I have played around with it and it's a daunting task.  I could do it but I would need a lot of help.  I would need people to feed me: the Classification, Name of the Place, A short description and the teleport.  I have attached a mindmap that I started.  If there is enough interest in helping me built it, I will be more that glad to act as the central focal point.  If not, then it will be too big a task for me to take on with the virtual space research load I currently have.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

George Kurtz

To view the mindmap either download the standard viewer or the viewer for IE.  They are free.

Download MindManager Map Viewer for Internet Explorer

http://rcd.typepad.com/rcd/2005/09/free_mindmanage.html

Hi Margaret,

I have a group of people that is building a knowledge base of the entire virtual space in the form of a mindmap.  You are welcome to join in and help us build it, as well as use it as an resource tool.  It's a work-in-progress.  There is a section on Learning & Education, as well as a section on Gaming & Learning.  You can just collapse the nodes you are not interested in.

The Virtual IT mindmap is a "big picture" view of the virtual space.  I'm adding between 50 to 100 new things to it per day.  I want to identify all of it's components.  I use the mindmap to identify trends.  What is the next big thing?  Where is the big money going to be made?  What will be the next Google or Microsoft?  Plus, I use it as a knowledge base to learn from.  It contains hundreds of links to web sites, articles, conferences, books etc.

There are a lot of smart people in the world.  What are they thinking and doing?  I want to build upon their research and ideas.   What are all the new things coming online, etc.  What are all the components that make up Virtual Information Technology because everything boils down to information.

Let me know your thoughts.  What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it?  Do you see it as a useful tool?  I know mindmaps are new to a lot of people but it is the best way to identify all the components of a project.

To view the mindmap either download the standard viewer or the viewer for IE.  They are free.

Download MindManager Map Viewer for Internet Explorer

http://rcd.typepad.com/rcd/2005/09/free_mindmanage.html

Regards,

George Kurtz